• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH won't open after restart

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty standard settup on my machine: Windows XP, RoboHelp 7, and Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard.

RoboHelp 5 worked fine, I upgraded to RoboHelp 7 and it works fine until I logout my machine. After a logout, I cannot open any RH projects or RH itself. It's like RH tries to open (there is a little flash of the hourglass for a split second), but then nothing. No startup display or error is shown. If I reinstall it works fine until I logout or shutdown.

All my projects are RH HTML. Installing RH software updates doesn't seem to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have admin rights attached to your Windows profile when you installed RoboHelp? That is a requirement.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your reply, I switched my rights to Administrator in Control Panel > User Accounts (I had "Debugger" access level previously). Then I reinstalled RoboHelp. I logged out and back in to test that RH would continue to work (it always opens perfectly after the install until logging out/shutting down). After logging back in, I still had the same problem where it seems to try and open for a second and then stops without any error message. I can even see RH appear in my task manager for a split second and then disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we talking about a standalone machine or one on a network. On a network only IT can change your rights.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a standalone machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Did you purchase an upgrade and maybe not uninstall the earlier version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did upgrade from X5. I checked for any old X5 files and I cannot find any remaining files from that version.

One more thing I noticed:

RH for Word and RoboSource are not affected. They open fine. Only RH HTML has this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2009 Jun 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you fix this? If not, did you check your firewall is not interfering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to fix this issue. I checked my firewall settings. RoboHelp 7 is listed as an exception to any general blocking by the firewall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think carefully about what you have on this standalone machine. Could anything else be causing a conflict?

Either you need to contact TechSupport or try one last ditch solution if you are reasonably PC savvy.

Download and install http://www.revouninstaller.com

Deactivate and uninstall RH7 using that with the advanced settings. Make sure you only choose to delete the registry options shown bold.

Reboot

Now reinstall X5. You will not be able to open it but that does not matter.

Reboot.

Uninstall that with revouninstaller. I am hoping it will remove something that RH left behind last time.

Reboot.

Reinstall RH7 and see if that now works.

This is at your own risk. If in doubt, get the assistance of someone with more PC knowledge. (Not meant rudely. I simply do not know your level of skill)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for delay in reply. I've gathered everything that might be helpful.

I've checked with our IT department and they are unable to find the copy of X5 that was installed on my machine by the employee before me.

At one point last year, my machine had a small misc issue but still needed to be completely replaced by IT. This is when I upgraded to RH7 because we could not transfer X5 to my new CPU and we could not find the X5 install disc. Therefore, I only have the X5 serial number that I found on the X5 copy on my old machine. After we wrote down the X5 license number and installed RH 7 on the new machine, the old machine (and the copy of X5 along with it) was earased.

I'm waiting for IT to quote me a new licsense for Acrobat 9 so I can upgrade from Acrobat 6. Maybe 6 is causing a conflict. I'll let you know how that goes. But that's all we can think of doing at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So X5 is a red herring, it was never installed on the machine with the problem.

When you installed RH7 upgrade, it will have asked for the licence number and version from which you were upgrading. Presumably at that point, you selected X5 and entered its serial number.

Please go to Help > About and advise the version number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is about the last thing I can suggest. If this does not work, you need to look at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402652.html

Uninstall RH7 using http://www.revouninstaller.com. Depending on your level of PC expertise, get some IT support on this.

Reinstall making sure you have admin rights.

Install the three updates.

That should work on a straightforward Windows PC that is working standalone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for the tip on revouninstall.  It was the only thing that helped me get my reinstall working.

Jack DeLand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the endorsement. I have only heard good reports of it. My worry is that in the last step, it would be easy for someone not paying attention to delete more than they intend as Select All does just that, not just the entries they show in bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp