• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't transfer books to my 505 from Adobe DE

New Here ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted this on another thread, but it seems to have got lost amongst the other posts.

First I want to make it clear that I have done all the updates possible.available to both the Sony reader,,Adobe DE and eBook Library.

I have authorised the Reader and Adobe DE and I have an Adobe ID.

Both e-Book Library and Adobe DE 'recognize' the Sony reader as the PRS 505 icon appears on both bookshelves.

The Reader was purchased, legitamately in the UK [John Lewis]

I can purchase books OK - downloaded one to Adobe DE from Waterstone's UK.

When I attempt to drag the title into the 505 ir refuses to let me ["No permission to copy document here"]

If I attempt the same within e-Book Library [I can get the book across to here by importing from My Documents] I'm again refused permission [ To tranfer this e-Book yoy must first authorize the Reader for Adobe DRM protected content. Would you Llike to launch Adobe Digital Editions and authorize the reader now?]

If I click YES Adobe DE opens, but I'm given no prompt to authorize. when I click on Authorize Computer on the drop down menu it tells me "this computer is authorized to..." followed by my e-mail address which is also my Adobe ID.

It's a hideous circle I can't escape from and makes the Reader virtually useless.

Contacted Adobe Support but after a couple of e-mails where , essentially they said " are you sure you've done everythingh right" my case has now been referred to the Technical Dept - and things have gone very, very quiet.

Anyone out there have a clue what I do next.

Note: Beyond the basic operations I an no computer whizz!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

If Ctrl-Shift-E isn't working that most likely means that your Sony Reader is not authorized with an AdobeID.

If Digital Editions isn't asking you to authorize your Sony Reader with your AdobeID when ADE starts or when you plug in the Reader this means you told it not to ask you any more (clicked on the Don't ask again for this device checkbox).

Unfortunately there is no easy way for you to undo this.  The list of devices is stored in the manifest.xml file which is stored in your My Digital Editio

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two possible answers.

First if you can see your Sony Reader in the list of Bookshelves in Digital Editions, deauthorize your device in ADE (Ctrl+Shift+E), unplug it, and replug it while ADE is running.  ADE should bring up a dialog to allow you to authorize the device.

Second if you can't see your SonyReader in the list of Bookshelves, then reinstall your Sony softare - you are missing the piece which allows ADE to communicate to Sony Readers.  Once you have done this when you plugin in your Sony Reader with ADE running it should bring up the device authorization dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, neither of these help.

1) The icon does appear on the shelf, but Ctrl+shift+E does nothing. If I manually unplug the Reader, the icon disappears, then re-appears when I re-insert USB cable. But no prompt to authorise.(nb I'm presuming we are talking about the 'up arrow' when we talk about 'shift')

2) I have tried re-installing software, but it makes no difference.

Any other ideas?

Larry Barker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Ctrl-Shift-E isn't working that most likely means that your Sony Reader is not authorized with an AdobeID.

If Digital Editions isn't asking you to authorize your Sony Reader with your AdobeID when ADE starts or when you plug in the Reader this means you told it not to ask you any more (clicked on the Don't ask again for this device checkbox).

Unfortunately there is no easy way for you to undo this.  The list of devices is stored in the manifest.xml file which is stored in your My Digital Editions directory (under My Documents).

To modify the manifest.xml:

1.) Quit Digital Editions

2.) Make a backup copy of the manifest.xml (call it something like manifest.good)

3.) Open manifest.xml in notepad

4.) It will appears as one big long line of xml, and you are looking for a tag called <de:deviceID> start at the begginning of this and select until you the end of the tag that looks called </de:deviceID>

5.) If you have attached more than one Sony Reader there may be multiple of these.  Delete all of them to make sure.

6.) Save the file (manifest.xml) and quit out of notepad

7.) Ensure you have the Sony Reader plugged in

8.) Launch Digital Editions

9.) The Device Setup Assitant should come up.

a.) Do NOT click on the "Don't ask again for this device" checkbox.

b.) Do click on the "Authorize Device" button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKED!

Thanks a million.

It does seem insane that such a tiny mistakle (I don't remember making,BTW) so early on can so completely knacker the thing.

Anyway, thanks again.

Larry Barker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lazard,

Well done. I have the identical problem and have had for 5 motnhs i.e. my ebook is totally useless.

Adobe have not been able to resolve it.

Judging by the reaction from the OP, you have solved it.

Unfortunately I dont have a clue what you said.

Is there any chance you could post it in idiots terminology or is it just too complicated?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said earlier I am no computer whizz but this wasn't to hard.

Jim Lesters post with the Gold Star is the one to folllow.

First you need to find this manifest file - go to My Documents, then to My Digital Editions and you'll see a file called manifest .xml - right click on this and Open with ..'Notepad'.

First, under File choose 'save as..' and give file another name eg 'manifest back up'. This is just a copy in case you mess things up!

Now, you'll get two lines of gobbledegook that go across the page -keep scrolling across till you find the bit of code that Jim talks about.  (Point 4 on his list) Delete this, then save the file.

Close file, plug in Reader then open Adobe DE . It SHOULD ask you if you want to authorise device - click on 'Authorize Device'.

DO NOT CLICK ' Don't ask again for this device'! - this is where it all went wrong in the first place.

You should be OK now

Jim's post is pretty simple to follow, so if you can use his step by step guide - I've just tried to fill in a few of the gaps.

Hope this helps.

if you feel it's beyond you, someone with a bit more computer savvy should easily be able to do it.

Ask a mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me!. Thanks a bunch. I have spent the better part of 2 days trying to download items to

my nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dipping way back into time, here, and responding to Jim Lester's paragraph:

"Second if you can't see your SonyReader in the list of Bookshelves, then reinstall your Sony softare - you are missing the piece which allows ADE to communicate to Sony Readers.  Once you have done this when you plugin in your Sony Reader with ADE running it should bring up the device authorization dialog."

This is embarrassing, but how do I reinstall my Sony software? (ADE is not automatically detecting my Sony reader as it is supposed to.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should delete the software first..and reinstal with the CD that came with the reader. Good luck! I got so fed up ..I sold the reader ..and I'm moving to iPad....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE EXACTLY the same issue, and I followed the suggestions religiously.....BUT there was NO </de:deviceID> anywhere in the string!!!! So was not able to authorise my new laptop....ANY OTHER IDEAS????

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost the same problem. There was no <de:deviceID> for me to delete. I can however, deauthorize my e-reader and re-authorize it. But I still cannot transfer my downloaded book from ADE to my e-reader. I still get the message "No permission to copy document here".  HELP please! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, had the same problem with my Nook (Barnes & Noble e-reader). I just want to say THANKS for the advice. It all worked fine for me and I'm feeling an inch more computer saavy this morning. No problem re-authorizing once that ID line was deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a difference in the way the information is stored on a Mac? I'm using OSX, and there is no mention of 'deviceID' in the manifest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is yes. I'm not at all familiar with Macs, but I wonder if you have

an istore nearby if you could check in with one of their people?

Good luck...it's a great system once it is set up!

LO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE relies on device drivers to talk to the Sony Readers.  There are no such device drivers for ADE on the Mac.  You will need to use the Sony Ebook Library software to transfer your content on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to have caused confusion: I was piggy-backing on the discussion of why the key-strokes didn't work in ADE. I have an Onyx Boox, with which I am having similar problems to the original poster. The Boox comes equipped with ADE, and is supposed to talk directly to ADE; it may be that the missing information is on the reader rather than on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you sorted your problem yet?  I also have a boox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, sold it.....support was abysmal..good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to load the book from ADE to the Boox after installing the most recent version of the firmware. Probably resetting the Boox would have the same effect. I had also uninstalled and reinstalled ADE, but I don't know that this was necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that, still does't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the firmware actually install? I had a little trouble getting it to do so. If it worked, the interface is completely different. If it isn't that, I don't knwo what to suggest. You could ask your question here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how is the interface different? then I will know if it installed. Thankyou

for your patience and help

DrPenNZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! Don't really need the ADE at all.

Thanks,

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines