Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Jigsaw Puzzle using Subforms

Former Community Member

Hello, I have another problem.  I need to have a subform extend disjointedly over two lines.  I'll try to illustrate below.

This text is fixed and needs to stay here no matter what This text needs to be part of a subform

with this text, which will extend to exactly. . . . . . . . . . . here This text and the next line of blue text

need to be another instance of the "red" subform, and so on

The problem is, whenever I try to wrap the the upper red line with the lower red line, I get something that looks like this:

This text is fixed and needs to stay here no matter what

This text needs to be part of a subform with this text, which will extend to exactly. . . . . . . . . . . here

So, is there any way to make a subform do this?  I would attach an example of what I'm working on, but the stuff I tried to upload yesterday is still queued, so it wouldn't do much good.

Thanks for your help.

4 Replies

Level 6

What's the source of the repeating red/blue text?  Are they repeating bits of data that you want to bind to and automatically repeat?  Is the first sentence part of the repeating data, or something different?

At a glance it seems that you can use a text field and concatenate the text using script, unless there are other things inside the red/blue subforms that you want to do.

Please give me a higher view of how these things fit together.

Former Community Member

Sorry, I wasn't the most clear and my post looked different in the editor than it displayed.  The red text is supposed to represent some text boxes, text fields, number fields, and radio button groups that are (and need to be) split between two lines.  However, they also need to be bound together as one subform so I can use the instance manager to add and delete them together.  When I wrap the objects represented by the red text in a subfield, instead of filling out the remainder of the first line (the space between the end of the bold, underlined, black text and the edge of the page) and then going to the next, it starts the red text objects on the next line, leaving the remainder of the first line blank and completely screwing up my formatting.

Level 6

Sorry for so many questions. Unfortunately you've hit upon a limitation of subforms, in that they are 'rectangular' in shape.  They won't adjust to have irregular borders like you need.  However depending on your situation we might be able to kludge something up.

For the bold text, does it appear multiple times, or just once before the set of repeating subforms.  And, do you require that the next repeating subform instance (blue) start mid-line after the red one ends, or can it start on another line.  Or, will things inside the subform always work out so that each one ends in the same place on the second line?  Not sure how that will happen based on the black text.

Hard to tell without the real-world example, but we may be able to play some games with indenting, nested flowed/positioned subforms, etc.

Former Community Member

Unfortunately, essentially all these objects need to be flowed so they can expand with the text, so I don't see how using positioned forms would help.  The widths are fixed, and the black text only occurs once, so it always would nest nicely, so yes, the blue text would need to start midline.  Everything will end at the same place horizontally.