• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSH calls wrong screen

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With RH7, I have added map IDs from the developer's .hm file. All screens call up the correct Help...except two. I have tested these two screens with BugHunter, and they bring up the correct Help topic (one topic for two map IDs, as with a lot of topics in the project). However, in the application,  the CSH brings up the Main Screen topic for both of these screens, which is the default if no map ID is assigned. In case there was something flaky with the topic, I copied the content to another topic, deleted the old topic, and reassigned map IDs to the new topic. Same problem!

I've searched past forum discussions and have not been able to find similar problems. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Cheers,

Lacona

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are these files named and located in the exact same way as when they were mapped by your developer? sometimes, and I am NOT a developer so I may be saying this wrong, it seems like they "hard code" a call from a form (window) to a specifically named topic in a specifically named file path in the Help project. And if it gets renamed or relocated later, the topic can't be found - even if it looks perfectly fine in the Advanced Properties tab. My developers won't readily admit to this - but it's amazing how I can prove all is well on my side, and then all of a sudden the help links works again with the next release. It's like magic....

you really need to show your developer that you have the link configured correctly - and confirm both the topic file name and location for them. I bet some discrepancy will turn up on their side.

Good luck!

Message was edited by: lmarden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! We're using map ID numbers which I receive as a file from the developer, so I don't know how he could mess it up on his side. I wouldn't know how to tell the developer to research the problem in case it's from his end, since the map ID list he generates shows the correct numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd go to them and look at their code with them. Having just gone through a similar exercise here I can tell you just how easy it is for things to go wrong. Check their paths to the help as well as their mapids. I found here that there were a variety of methods used in the past by different developers for calling the help - including hardcoding a CHM file name and topic name!!

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Colum. I'll try checking their code, even though the only code I know is HTML. I would think that, if someone hard-coded the file name, it'd be in the code within those two screens, so I guess I'll start there. Still, I would think a hard-cded map ID would appear on the generated report. We've had 1-2 developers work on it before this one (no one still working here), and no one has been knowledgeable about Help files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may help to sit down with a developer who can show you exactly what they are doing and explain it to you as they go. It is surprising what you can pick up by doing this.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp