• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to add automatic insertions in a RH 7 template?

Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to RoboHelp and to HTML altogether, but learning quickly. I'm developing a help system with both General help and How to's. I was wondering if it possible to add automatic insertions in a RoboHelp HTML 7 template, as you would in a Word .dot with macros, or if I need to repeat creating tables and numbered steps all the time.

Your support is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Okay, you have me.

Can you please articulate what you mean by an "automatic insertion"?

Perhaps provide a basic step-by-step of how it works in Word? I personally don't use Word all that often so am really struggling to understand what exactly you are referring to!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply! Funny I just finished going through your RoboHelp HTML 7 Early Bird Dinner. I'm not that familiar with the step-by-step process, but basically, in Word, you can create a template table (such as 2-column Field name & Description) or such and configure it so it can be automatically inserted when clicking a button. It's useful when you need to use the same table, sentence, image, over and over. 

Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Ahhh, I see. I would compare that to using a Snippet!

As you have the Early Bird Dinner eBook, you would find this covered in Section two.

Click the image below to view at full size.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thought about using snippets... The thing is that these tables will be customized every time they are inserted; they are only used as templates to build upon. My concern is how a snippet would individually be modified in each topic, if by mistake the snippet itself is modified. Is that clear enough? I am the only one accessing RH, however, is there a way to "lock" each snippet so it cannot be modified?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, clearer now what you need to accomplish.

You could take a couple of approaches.

Approach one - Create a topic and define a table. Configure as you would like to see it. Then when you need it, you open the topic containing the table, copy it and paste it where you need to use it.

Approach two - Create a Table Template. Instructions for this are found on fellow Adobe Community Expert Peter Grainge's site at the link below.

Click here to visit Peter's site

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good Morning!

Thank you so much! One of Peter Grainge's method's (using Macro Express) will be perfect. Between all the tables I need to create, none have same-size columns and cells. And since there are other types of auto-insertions (text, numbered steps, etc.) the macros will accomplish all that.

Thank you again for all your help. Have a nice day,

Nath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp