• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8: In tables that are in drop-downs, how can I set the vertical alignment of cells to top?

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an HTML help project that I have upgraded from RoboHelp 7 to RoboHelp 8, in tables that I have in drop-downs the vertical alignment of cells has changed from top to center. If I try to update this setting in the table properties, the table looks fine when I exit the drop-down editor, but when I reopen the drop-down, it is back to center alignment. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it?

My tables that are not in drop-downs are all still top aligned as expected.

As an experiment, I copied a table that is not in a drop down, and then pasted it into a new drop-down. The vertical alignment was removed. When I look at the html, the code for the rows in the drop-down all changed from <tr valign="top"> to <tr>.

I also tried creating a brand new project in RoboHelp 8 and creating a new table within a drop down; again, same issue in that it changes the vertical alignment for the cells to center.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known problem. See Using RH8 on my site.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I logged this as a bug as you had suggested.

In another similar post I see you had commented "The alignment in your output will be OK." Just an FYI, that the alignment in my output is not OK in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dee 70

Then there is something else wrong. First try applying some different CSS files temporarily to test.

If no change, create a new project and using your CSS, try again in just one topic.

Any change?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I tried applying different css files to the topic but still see the output in the chm has the table cells center aligned rather than top (for tables that are in drop downs). I verified that I have this issue in all of the projects I've upgraded to date, and that I did not have this issue in RoboHelp 7. I also tried to create a brand new project in RoboHelp 8, and there again, I cannot get the table cells to vertical align top in drop downs. I've looked through my css file and nothing is jumping out to me as something that would set this in the tables, but I may be overlooking something. Any other thoughts on what I could try or a place where a setting may be that is throwing this off?

Thanks,

Denise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the source files in RH, there is no way you can get the table to top align. You will have to live with that until Adobe issue a patch.

My point is that in all the cases I have seen, as long as the CSS is correct, when you generate WebHelp, it will be correctly aligned in the output.

So create a new RH project, create a topic with the same CSS that is giving you a problem. Generate an output and see if the table is correct. If it is not, then send me that one topic project via http://www.cutesendit.com and include a link to this thread in the email. You can get the address from my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2009 Jun 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that my last reply was not clear. I was referring to the generated output. I've sent you a copy of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2009 Jun 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the project that has enabled me to identify the problem.

Your style sheet is missing the following definition so there is nothing to tell RH that you want the table content top aligned. Unfortunately the CSS editor does not allow you to add what is required so you will need to open it in Notepad and add this at the end.

TD {
    vertical-align: top;
}

Then when you generate your help, the output will be driven by the CSS and will be top aligned.

You could apply inline alignment by going into the table properties, selecting the Cell tab and applying top alignment. However, I do not recommend that as it will have to be done for each table and will remove the ability to change that from the style sheet.

Take a look at the Not So Good section of the topic on Tables at

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update to the style sheet appears to work--initially. Using the style sheet that has been updated to provide the vertical alignment, when I first upgrade a project to RoboHelp 8 everything looks great in my ouput. However, as soon as I make any kind of edit to a drop down that contains a table (the edit doesn't even have to be made within the table itself) then the next time I generate my output, the tables are center aligned once again. Same thing happens to tables that are within tables, but not in drop downs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create another new project. Put your CSS in it and check it works OK and then doesn't, if you see what I mean.

If you can reproduce the error, send the project again via http://www.cutesendit.com with a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ascertained the problem is different when generating CHMs and WebHelp.

Whilst the problem is corrected in webhelp, it is not corrected in a CHM. This surprises me as I would have expected more people to be reporting this problem. I can only conclude they are not using the CSS to format their tables and applying top alignment via the properties of each table.

That really defeats the introduction of CSS driven tables and you should report this problem.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either that or the tables are arranged in such a manner that the vertical alignment could be anything and not matter or show a noticeable difference.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all of your assistance. I would just add for the sake of anyone who reads this that the problem exists in the print output as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp