Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit layer

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2009 Jun 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me shed some light on the issue I'm having, and I'll try to describe the problem as best I can.  I'm fairly new to photoshop and am just starting to work with layers.  My problem is that when I make more than one copy of the background layer, I can't seem to make changes to the newly created layer.  I've done some experimenting, and it seems that I can do things like crop, etc., but when I try to paint or use the clone or healing brush tools, the changes don't show up at all.  My layer is not locked so I'm not sure what the problem is.  Basically, I start by either doing a duplicate layer or a copy of the background layer.  The first time I do this, the new layer works fine.  However, if I try to do another copy/duplicate of the background layer, the second copy doesn't allow me to make the kinds of changes mentioned above.  If I copy the original copy of background layer it seems to work fine.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Christine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to tell from here, but the first explanation that comes to mind is that the  newly created target layer is not selected in the layers palette.

Or maybe it is turned off with the "eye" symbol.

However, it may not be that simple. Could be a live selection outside the target area or an odd blending mode set for the tool.

shrug.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for the reply.  I have made sure that the layer is visible (eye turned on) and that the layer is selected.  It's weird because I can crop and I can move the layer, but I can't make any other adjustments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always try the traditional fix for strange behaviour.

Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John - I tried to do the reset and that was successful, but I'm still having the same problem.  What I did find out, however, is that if I have 2 copies of the background layer, the first copy works fine but the second one looks like it isn't taking my edits.  However, I just realized that if/when I delete or just hide (eye not selected) the first background layer copy, all the edits I had been making to the second copy are then visible.  I don't know why this would happen, though, since I have them both set to "Normal" blending mode and 100% opacity and fill.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cav0227 wrote:

What I did find out, however, is that if I have 2 copies of the background layer, the first copy works fine but the second one looks like it isn't taking my edits.  However, I just realized that if/when I delete or just hide (eye not selected) the first background layer copy, all the edits I had been making to the second copy are then visible.  I don't know why this would happen, though, since I have them both set to "Normal" blending mode and 100% opacity and fill.......

Apparently the layer that is getting the edits is below (and therefore hidden by) the layer you turned off.

That goes back to the need to have the corrrect target layer selected when making the edits.

This is definitely your problem.

(Layers sometimes change when undoing or going back in history – it catches everyone out now and then.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John - I know what you're saying but I do have the correct layer selected.  It's just that when the first copy exists and is turned on, the edits I'm making to the second layer are not visible but are being applied.  I've taken two basic screenshots illustrating what's happening.  The first one shows that I have the second layer selected but when the first copy (layer 1) is still visible, you can't see the edits, but as soon as I turn layer 1 off, the edits appear on the selected layer.  Strange, I know, but true...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say the Attach Files facility is broken but you can upload files using the little camera icon in the reply box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - good to know about the file attachments not working.  I hope you'll be able to see enough detail this way......

2nd Layer selected - edits not visible.jpg2nd layer still selected - first copy turned off -edits visible.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the layer called Layer 1 for?

That's the one that is obscuring the edits on the selected layer.

(On a totally irrelevant note, do you really need all those windows open when you're working on an image?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer 1 is the default name given to the layer when I create a new layer via copy (Ctrl+J), but only for the first copy created.  If I do it again (copy the background copy), it calls it Background Copy.  And you're correct - it is layer 1 that is obscuring my other layer, but I don't know why.  This happens even if I create two duplicate layers from the background copy (as opposed to copying the layer).

As for all the windows open, I've obviously been multi-tasking this morning, but are you suggesting that that may be causing a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are missing the point.

Layer 1 is obscuring the selected layer where things are happening and you don't need it.

The open windows and running programs shouldn't be causing the immediate problem but they use up resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reason I had two layers was because I want to be able to isolate certain tasks.  So, for instance, if I want to work on exposure in one layer, and color correction in another, etc., I thought the best way to do that was to have multiple copies of the same layer.  However, it sounds like that's not the way it works.  Still have a lot to learn about layers, but as I mentioned in my other response, I just found a great link on Adobe that discusses layers in depth, so I think that's a good place to start.  Thanks for the feedback.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layer one is on top of the layer your editing. As the  opacity is 100%, you can't see thru it.Click on the eye to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks Phil.  I think I'm starting to understand a little bit more about how layers work (plus I found a great link at Adobe's main site) that walks through the concept of layers.  For some reason I thought you could always see all layers as long as they are enabled, but now I understand that Opacity also plays a part.  Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines