• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was an error opening this document

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new Dell laptop, Vista OS, Reader 9.1, installed and reinstalled.  Problem:  Windows Mail PDF attachments gives this message when trying to open a PDF There was an error opening this document.  This file could not be found. Went to Control Panel, default programs, associations and PDF says open with Adobe Reader.  What is wrong?  Thought it was fixed and now it is happening again.  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've have the same problem, same computer, same OS.  This morning I thought an automatic update download had fixed it, as I was able to open all documents.  Now, this afternoon, I can't open anything.  If I save the documents first, I am able to open them, but not directly from an e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now what, no one is answering us!  I'm trying to get the problem discussed in Microsoft Vista Forums.  I'll keep this just in case I get an answer.........bye for now, Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found tis is another post and it worked for me:

Go into the control panel and search for UAC (user account control)
When that screen opens, make sure the box is not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2009 Jun 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4Patch I'm working now so I'm holding my breath.  Thanks for your solution.  In fact everything seems to be working in Windows Mail at the moment.  Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, no one from Adobe answers these questions.  It's just regular users like us who stumble upon an answer.  Not a very efficient system, but, hey, it's free software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix didn't work for me - I downloaded Firefox Thunderbird and PDF's open fine in that program. Would rather use Windows Mail, but not matter what I try to fix problem, nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yikes you are brave.......I have my entire business on Windows Mail.  I'm praying my fix works.  Are you going to ask how I fixed it?  One day it just started working but I still have to save jpegs to the desktop to open.  I HATE these programs!  No patience.  If I find anything I'll stay in touch.  Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I believe 4patch to be correct in that Adobe does not offer support for their free products via the forums, rather the forums are a way for the community of users to offer/share support to each other. I have witnessed similar issues you are experiencing Suzanne in my support of thousands of machines for the state of PA. I believe you are dealing with a corrupt entry in your Windows registry which uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't seem to affect. This could be due to other software that is installed and/or running on your system but I am not certain of the root cause at this time.

I have a good amount of success using Microsoft's free online safety scanner to clean up miscellaneous registry issues. Normally, I use this tool on systems which have been infected with malware. It works ok as a security tool but the main reason I use this tool is because it incorporates a registry scanner/cleaner which has been absent from Microsoft's operating systems since Win2000. You could also use a third-party registry cleaning utility but I am a little leery of such.

Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner for Vista:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

I recommend:

1. Uninstall Reader 9.x

2. Reboot your system

3. Run the scanner allowing it to clean/fix anything it finds

4. Reboot your system when the scanner finishes

5. Reinstall Reader 9.x

I would also seriously consider disabling any anti-virus software prior to running the scanner as well as when you reinstall Reader as it could possibly interfere with the installation process. Once complete, re-enable your AV software.

You could also try System Restore, restoring the registry to a known good version from the past when it worked as expected.

I hope this helps!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - tried the fix and it seems to have solved the problem. It was one of the more irritating problems I've encountered since using Vista. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2009 Jun 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked for you too.  Nowwwwwwww since you have vista....."most of the time" I can't open hyperlinks that come in Window Mail UNLESS I go to IE and click tools, internet options, advanced tab, go to bottom and click reset, then okay.  Thennnnnnnnnnn I can open them for a couple of days and then something happens and it goes back to not being able to open.  Any thoughts......Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suzanne, I very rarely have that problem, but when I do, I click on the link in the "bottom" window instead of the "top" e-mail window.  I hope that makes sense, but I don't know any other way to explain it.  If that doesn't work, I just copy and paste into IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks as soon as I get one I'll try to see if your method makes sense:>)  Thanks for your help.  Suzanne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael for all the information......that is a lot of info and appreciate it.  Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck in finding a solution to the problem.  I tried the fix that 4Patch recommended but no luck.  Keep me posted please because this is very frustrating.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDLO123 I did what 4Patch suggested.  At first it didn't work and now I can open PDFs from Windows Mail.  I don't get it!!!!!  So as of now I can open JPEGs, PDFs anddddddddddddd hyperlink.  This happened before and it only worked for a couple of days.  What I don't get is how come no one from Adobe that knows the program is in the forum and answering us.  Keep me posted and I will you.  Bye for now,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto for me - I get the same message when I try to open a PDF file in Windows Mail.  Tried fixes outlined in other emails, but it still won't work.  I was able to open PDF files before Adobe was updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this in a previous message, and it worked for me:

Go into the control panel and search for UAC (user account control)
When that screen comes up, make sure the box is not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the fix recommended by 4Patch.  No luck.  Is there anyone out there that can help because this is very frustrating.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known problem with a combination of IE8 and Windows Mail.  It is not exclusive to pdf documents and Microsoft will not be offering a fix because they are no longer supporting Windows Mail.  Their suggested fix is to upgrade from Windows Mail to Live Mail.  This does fix the problem, but so does rolling back to IE7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info. I updated to Live Mail and it id fix the problem.

Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 4:28 AM

To: Lois Genereux

Subject: There was an error opening this document

This is a known problem with a combination of IE8 and Windows Mail. It is not exclusive to pdf documents and Microsoft will not be offering a fix because they are no longer supporting Windows Mail. Their suggested fix is to upgrade from Windows Mail to Live Mail. This does fix the problem, but so does rolling back to IE7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you EDLO I'm going to figure out where Live Mail is and do it.  Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines