12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2009 4:58 PM by nadywhacker RSS

Overlapping Window

nadywhacker

Hi,

I would like to create an overlapping window for 2 different applications:

*     I want to set up a hyperlink to another website, that sits on top of my page and can be closed with an exit button.

*     I would like to create an overlapping window attached to an internal link that can be closed with an exit button.

Can anyone please tell me what this type of window is called?  I tried to find some info in GoLive Help, but you how it is when you don't know what to search for. OR, can anyone tell me how to create one?

Thanks!

Nadine

• 1. Re: Overlapping Window
          johndonaldson

You can use the following action to open a popup window, and it offers control over the size and positioning of the window as well as the option to add a close window link:

http://www.mindpalette.com/actions/details.php?actionID=35

John

• 2. Re: Overlapping Window
            Jesper G. O. Møller Community Member

as well as the option to add a close window link:

That is only for the open image popupvindow part of the script (as i recall)

For other content in the popup youll have to make a closewindow link/button or use one of the closescript nates made

Close Child Window 1.0
            Close popup windows automatically when leaving the main parent window, or by clicking a link in the main window.

Close Popup Redirect Action 1.0.1
            Close a popup window and redirect the parent window / opener.

You find both at: http://www.mindpalette.com/actions/index.php

• 3. Re: Overlapping Window
              johndonaldson Community Member
              That is only for the open image popupvindow part of the script (as i recall)

Thanks Jesper. I'm sure you recall correctly. You can also link any text or image in a window you have opened to the default Close Window action in GoLive, which will close the current window (as long as the window was generated by script).

John

• 4. Re: Overlapping Window
                nadywhacker Community Member

Thanks John and Jesper.  I followed the instructions for uploading the pop-up window from Mind Palette and it all worked great. I successfully found the Open Popup option in my actions menu and plugged in the specs I want for this window, as well as set up a link to text on my webpage.  All seems to have gone according to plan as per the instructions, however, no such window appears for me to work with.  I am fairly green with website building and Golive so I imagine that I neglected to do something simple or am missing the obvious.  Can you help?  I am working with GL CS2.

Thanks,

Nadine

• 5. Re: Overlapping Window

Is it not working when seeing it in a browser ??

Try flatten you scriptlibery ... (Rightclick in the file window and chose Update>Flatten ScriptLib or chose site>Update>Flatten ScriptLib in the menu

In CS2-3 ther have been som problem with 3party actions not working right away.. Here is some trublesolwing frome my ovne actionpage:

GoLive CS2 users may have some problem with using 3part actions do to a minor bug in CS2.

The promlem is that CS2 wont use the action (put it in the scriptLib). normaly this problem is solved by flatten the scribtLibery when adding the action (normaly this only has to bee don first time using the action).

Another solution if flatning the scriptlibery dont work is to open the action file in GoLive, just like any other file. make a smal change, an change back agin and the save it. Or do as if the action is grayd out

Are you having problems with the action not being visible or is greyed out? The fix is very simple.
                  1. Open the action file in GoLive, just like any other file.
                  2. Save the file using "save as" with the original name.
                  3. Restart GoLive and the action should now be available.
                  (Doing this may cause the action icon to disaper but the action shud now work)

• 6. Re: Overlapping Window

Thanks.  The "save as" suggestion worked.  I now have a functioning pop-up window so long as the page or image URL is linked to a jpeg/image.  However, I am not able to get a pop-up window without some kind of attachment image.  I would like to build a popup window with text, background color and active links, but can't seem to make this happen.  Any suggestions?  Is it actually possible to put active hyperlinks in a popup?

Nadine

• 7. Re: Overlapping Window
                      Kath-H Community Member

Certainly. You link to a page instead. The page that goes in the popup is a normal page and can have links and everything else you would put on any page. But in that case wouldn't it be more convenient for people just to go to a new page rather than a popup?

• 8. Re: Overlapping Window

O.K.  Now I get it!  For the life of me I couldn't wrap my head around what was meant by page vs image, but a light just turned on.  I was stumped because the mind palette pop-up inspector offers detailed action preferences regarding text color, background color, link color, etc.  I thought it would create the page for me.

The thought had occurred to me as well that I should just create a basic page for my site.  However, this particular site is one page only with a slide show of artwork and thumbnails and to create a separate page meant that I would have to create an entirely different design for this separate page, minus the slide show, etc.  This option didn't seem to offer as much finesse as a pop-up and would turn this one-page website into something more complex.  I am going to give the pop-up a go and if it doesn't work the way I imagine it to work, then I will resort the option of creating a page.

Thanks!

Nadine

• 9. Re: Overlapping Window
                          Kath-H Community Member

I would like to build a popup window with text, background color and active links, but can't seem to make this happen.

To do all that, you need a page to go in your popup window. I still don't get why, if it's just one page, you don't put the slide-show etc. on the page?

• 10. Re: Overlapping Window

Sorry, it's hard to explain.  Mostly it's a design thing.  Anyway, I got a popup window to work with links, etc!

The only other issues I am having with the popup are:

1. Thin white borders/margins on the top and left sides.  These margins show up in the window when I look at it in Preview or a browser and I would like to eliminate them, if possible.  The margins are about 10 pixels in width.  I would appreciate info as to how to do this.

2.  The popup tends to appear in different places on top of the website page, depending on the browser.  It would be nice to know how to better control placement.

Thanks,

Nadine

• 11. Re: Overlapping Window

1. Thin white borders/margins on the top and left sides.  These margins show up in the window when I look at it in Preview or a browser and I would like to eliminate them, if possible.  The margins are about 10 pixels in width.  I would appreciate info as to how to do this.

That sound like a margin issu

Try with css to set the thml and body marign to 0

html, body {margin: 0}

• 12. Re: Overlapping Window

Thanks, I will try this.  Any suggestions about question # 2?

Much appreciated,

Nadine