• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Files in RH HTML 7

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently converted a project from RH Word to HTML.  For the most part, this process has gone well.  There are about 4 topics/html file (some large, some not) that didn't survive the conversion very well.  Essentially, when I try to access them from the project manager, RH spins and spins.  I've let it sit there for HOURS, hoping it might still bring up the topic, but to no avail.  So I've tried to import a backup of this html file, only to have the same problem.  RH will say that the file has been imported ok, but it won't open it... it just spins.  I've tried to import this topic as a Word doc, but that doesn't work either.  I get about the first page of the document and that's it.  Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you able to display the HTML page without issue by right-clicking it and choosing to open it with the browser? If not, there is likely an issue with it.

Assuming you are able, perhaps copy the information into a Text file. Then just create a new topic in RoboHelp and paste it in. Tweak as needed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Windows Explorer, I can indeed these documents using Internet Explorer.  So I gather that is better than nothing.. I'm a little confused about your suggestion of copying the information into a text file... why a text file and not directly into a new topic in RH?  Also, when I attempt to copy, would I be getting more than just the text copied?  Such as gifs?  Hyperlinks?  Would they "make it over" too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I am an over-cautious help developer. I've acclimated myself through the years to use the Notepad switcheroo. This tends to strip away any "gifts" or "artifacts" that could hinder you later and bite you right in the ankle!

So sure, feel free to copy and paste into a fresh topic if you want. However, please be aware that you may end up with more than you bargained for as a result. It may work just fine for you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I copy and paste, all i get is text... no links, bookmarks, nothing... this is the best i can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two ways to get content in.

You can import but Word's HTML is notorious for causing issues. The topics you have imported may look good and may not give you any problems, however you may later find problems. Not will, just may. In your case you have already found problems with these topics. I think you are getting a big signal that something is wrong.  If they are giving you grief, do you really want to import them?

The other way is to copy and paste but you are copying text without the HTML so that is what you will see.

If you were talking about hundreds of files to be imported, it might be worth further investigation. However for four topics, I think you are going to spend more time finding a solution than it will take to reformat after cutting and pasting.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your reply.  Your point about it being easier just to rebuild those topics is very well made... except for the fact that one of the topics has so many links to other topics in the project, fixing all of those links would take me weeks.  No joke.  So it is worth my while trying to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

That must be one seriously huge topic!

No wonder RoboHelp was gagging on it.

You may wish to consider splitting it into multiple smaller topics?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a topic on importing on my site. I hope it helps.

Interested to know how you get on.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to import a "Cleaned up" Word document, and the issue I'm having for the most part is, the "mid topic IDs" that were in the word document are becoming "footnotes" not bookmarks..

Also, when I import the document, all the "hidden text" that appears in RH Word Documents to the right of topic IDs is becoming part of the HTML topic ID and i think it is messing things up there as well.  Links are broken, no images come up either.

Is there some setting i'm unaware of??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try a different approach.

Use RH for Word to generate a CHM.

Follow the instructions for Reverse Engineering on my site.It does not take long.

That will give you a RH HTML project with all your content.

See how good the topics are.

If they are OK, import the relevant ones into the project you already have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp