Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expiry date on CD that contains training files

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This question is not pure about Captivate (4) but i will ask it anyway.

We use the published swf files and insert them in html files that are linked to each other.

We would like to put the whole thing on a CD with and autorun file. So far no problem.

What we also like to do is that the CD won't play after a certain date but instead display a message like:

"This module is out of date. Please contact such and such to get the latest version" to ensure users are not looking at out of date modules.

I know it is possible, I don't know how to create a "date checker" myself. I am also aware that this solution is not fool proof. People can change the date on their computer and voila the CD works again. But if they go through so much effort, at least they are aware that the content might not be up-to-date.

Has anybody an idea or can anybody point me in the right direct (or forum ).

Cheers, Helga

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Captivate has such a feature built into it.

Click Edit > Preferences...

Click the image below to view at full size.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I forgot about that.

I came up with the following solution.

My courses contain on avarage 50-60 small captivate (each item in the course has a seperate Overview, Show Me, Let Me and Test Me version of the item). Obviously I don't want to republish those files over and over again with a new expiry date, everytime I have to create a CD (I do that on request).

So I have created a launch file that only contains a start button. The Start button links to the first html file (with four swfs created in Captivate).

I only have to republish the launch file with a new expiry date.

Now that I've got a solution for that, is there any way to format the expiry date message?

It comes up with the Captivate 4 logo, but honestly, it is not important to the enduser in which programme the course has been created, is it? Captivate will not say anything to them.

Cheers, Helga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry, no way to control any of that I'm aware of. It would be nice to have more control over that, no?

Wish form! (link is below)

I suppose if you own Flash and you know how to use it, you might pull the Captivate into Flash and edit from there.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar issue in which I need to expire the content in 90 days from the first viewing. I have an installer that can wrap around the Captivate content (.exe) and then delete itself upon successful installation. The problem is I would need to recreate the content every day or two because of the "static date" expiry within Captivate. Also, can any of the variables within Captivate accomplish this?

BTW, I've posted this at this thread a few minutes ago before stumbling here:http://forums.adobe.com/thread/789949

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources