• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ATI 3870 + Vista64 = AE CS4 slow interaction

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having serious interaction slowness issue with CS4 and ATI radeon 3870 in Vista64 + Aero desktop composition,ATI catalyst driver 9.5.

Slowness is most obvious if you a layer selected which have several keys, with motion path display on in the viewport, try moving the layer around in the viewport, it takes a second or two before any reaction. It is even worst if OpenGL always on or OpenGL interaction on, slightly better in Adaptive resolution viewport refresh.

However, if motion path display is off, moving layer is noticably faster.

The motion path display also causes slowdown in other areas, like zooming in and out with the ',' and '.' key in the viewport, orbiting camera, etc etc that involve viewport drawing.

I've noticed also AE CS4 comp viewport doesn't get vertical sync (either with Vista Aero on or off), when you do a quick horizontal pan you'll notice tearing.

I'm wondering if anyone experiencing the same issue with ATI card and catalyst driver.

If ATI works for you, which version of ATI catalyst driver do you use?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What screen resolution do you run and how is the monitor connected? HDMI? DVI? VGA? Also, what happens if you disable AEro/ switch to a different visual theme?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

my screen resolution : single 1920x1200 via DVI

I have tried disabling Aero, switch to classic, still the same slowness, in fact it feels even more sluggish due to no desktop composition, you can even see the slow ui painting going on.

Do you have any ATI graphics card + Vista64 that managed to run AE CS4 smoothly? if yes, what's the driver version?

Early last year was Nvidia driver's broken GDI+ support that causes no AE CS3 ui no acceleration, and very sluggish, now it is ATI.

I do not have other ATI card other than this two Radeon HD3870, now they are both crippled in CS4.

Just curious if the current nvidia 285/295 drivers is working silky smooth in AE CS4.

thanks for your reply.

Tajino

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GeForce 285 is working smoothly on Vista 64... So much for that. As for your card, I'm afraid I cannott offer any real advise. I was merely asking in case we missed something. The only ATI card I evber "owned" I won in a price draw of some games mag and I sold it on eBay. Anyway, it's strange, regardless, that none of the usual steps seems to fix your driver/ display issues. Have you run DXDiag to check for any possible conflicts? Do you run any 3D programs on your system? If so, do they work correctly?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the nvidia 285 confirmation, I will get it now.

Dxdiag is all normal , also AE CS4 opengl reports all features supported. It must be some glitchy part of the ATI current drivers.

My main 3d app, Lightwave runs ok except some minor drawing glitches like in the graph editor flashy scale, modeler dragnet garbled overlay etc. Which are all ok with all my older NVidia cards. Modo on the other hand works fine with ATI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use a Radeon x1950 without any problems for a long time. I'm now back on NVidia hardware. Have you tried an older driver to see if is something that broke in 9.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello!

i haD the same problem !...

QUADRO FX4500 & GeForce 8600 GT + Vista64 = AE CS4  VERY slow interaction

and just wanted to try something   about   the motion path ...    checking ON   No motion path

and suddently i discovered this one  .... HARDWARE ACCELERATE COMPOSITION, LAYER and footage panels..

... well i tried it. and  it s working for now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has got to do with the way cs4 is drawing anti aliased motion path, if you turn off motion path display, the interaction speed will be back to normal. I have tried also by turning off AA in the catalyst control center, and it helps to improve performance slightly but still not up to the speed of cs3.

Just received my nvidia 285 today, will be testing it out, see how it goes.

Latest drivers doesn't mean a thing. It might even break stuff that used to work properly before. I doubt things like this ever happens on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a x1950 radeon on my Vista 64, and AE is working smoothly. But i haven't installed the latest drivers because it broke my display. Maybe try previous drivers to see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried a few versions back to 8.x, nothing works. Which version exactly are you using that works fine with vista64 + AEcs4. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello !

i am using   after effects  version 9.0.2.42

and the cs3 version did n t have the slow interaction problems.

both version 8.something and the latest update that was realased for this version.

did you try in the preferences  CHECK  ON    Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels.

and your video card does support DIRECT X 10 ?

i did nt had the time to test this CHECK ON option with the QUADRO FX4500... but my tech guy was saying this one is not friendly with DIRECT X 10.

PS >  absolutly   NO CRASH today ! every thing is fine....   welll .... except some  network card driver issue... hehehe ...!!! we have to get a new one... this time more ... vista friendly ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2009 Jun 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your graphics card and OS arent the only things that can have an effect

what is your cpu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2009 Jun 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>your graphics card and OS arent the only >things that can have an effect

>what is your cpu?

I know how it feels like when it is a cpu bottleneck situation, but this is definitely not the case. My cpu, dual Xeon quad core 2.93Ghz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2009 Jun 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try in the preferences  CHECK  ON    Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels.  ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, check on. Restart AE still the same. Check AE opengl stats, all features supported.

I've installed EVGA nvidia 285 today, with the latest june driver, motion path with a few keyframes drawing cause the exact slowdown issue as my ATI 3870. Very depressing.

Mylenium, which version of nvidia driver are you using for your 285? Did you turn on vista aero composited desktop? I tried either with aero on or off, same slowness.

end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }

wouoouaooo.,.

i am so sorry for you man!!

i feel the pain!!!

this kind of driver/system/software madness !!!! i can t handle it

anymore!! next time i move to MAC !! HAHAHA!!!

Just for you info > i am using >>> NVIDIA GeFORCE GTS 250

driver IS 8.15 11 8618

On Sun 28/06/09 7:40 AM , tajino forums@adobe.com sent:

Yes, check on. Restart AE still the same. Check AE opengl stats, all

features supported.

I've installed EVGA nvidia 285 today, with the latest june driver,

motion path with a few keyframes drawing cause the exact slowdown

issue as my ATI 3870. Very depressing.

Mylenium, which version of nvidia driver are you using for your 285?

Did you turn on vista aero composited desktop? I tried either with

aero on or off, same slowness.

end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2009 Jul 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

have the same prob here, with a Mac Pro (Vista 64), 16 Gig, Quadro FX 4800, Driver 186.18.

If Motion Path is visible interaction is incredibly slow.

Have cheked ON/OFF Hardware acceleration - but nothing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that, at least I'm not the only one facing this issue.

Even after changing my graphics card to geforce GTS 285 on driver 186.18, the slow Motion Path issue still persist.

Mylenium, mind telling us which version of nvidia driver that is working on your GTS 285, Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, installed the newest nvidia driver, but nothing helps. To mention i am working on a 30" dell monitor. Btw. now i have no opengl support under After Effects... my card (FX 4800) isn't compatible (any more) LOL? (Nice, stable support for "lamer" cards Adobe - thanks very much) Btw² my 3D app LightWave works fine with this card...even GLSL shaders works smart...

BUT i tested it on my second computer the same Mac Pro but with an ATI FirePro 8700 (driver 8.563) and the same scene and it worked like charm. Everything is fine as it should be. (24" dell monitor).

I remember before i had the Mac Pro i have had installed the CS4 on a supermico dual quad xeon with an ATI 4870 and have had the same slow interactions when working with paths... wtf oO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to suggest everyone who is experiencing this issue (slow display of motion paths) to write to me with configuration details:

AE version (for example, 9.02)

CPU

OS version

Graphics card brand/model

Graphics card driver

Is HW Accelerate Composicion, layer and footage panels turned on or off in Preferences > Display?

OpenGL mode in Fast Previews (Always on/Interactive/Off)

arozenfe{[at]}adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also let me know if the following helps:

For Nvidia cards using multiple monitor set-ups, change the the multiple display setting to "compatible".

For all cards in which it may apply, use the graphics card control panel to set advanced functions to default settings and turn off anti-aliasing and 16-bit mode, if available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adolfo,

AE Version 9.0.2.42

Dual Quad XEON 2,8 GHz (Mac Pro early 2008 model), 16 GB

Windows Vista 64 Bit, all patches installed

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800

Driver 190.38

HW Accelerate... tried both ON and OFF

OpenGL mode was Interactive, but with actual driver OFF

Regards,

Tommes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Tommes.

I suggested users experiencing this wrote to me (address in the message above), so that I could attach contact info in the report as well.

Did you try turning off antialiasing, 16-bit modes and any other advanced feautres in the Nvidia control panel?

Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vista 64 bit

intel core2 quad Q6600

4gb ram

ATI firegl v5600 ver. 8.603.0.0

AE CS4 ver. 9.0.2.42

Hardware acceleration doesn't seem to make an impact.

all advanced features disabled

I've been having issues similar to the original poster.  I've had luck turning down the number of keyframes displayed in the motion path.  You do this in preferences/display/motion path options.

I set mine to "no more than 5 keyframes" and it sped things up a little, but it's still not as smooth as I'd like.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PatsyCake,

Can you try panning quickly in the main composition viewport by holding space and drag, can you see display tearing(no vertical sync) in the viewport?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines