• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inserting Camtasia video files into compiled HTML help in RoboHelp V7

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked in help and throughout the forums and do not see an answer to this one. I'm sure people have done it but I can't find it.

I have a video produced with Camtasia. I am attempting to put it into a compiled HMTL help system. I have the source so can produce it in a different format if needed Camtasia. I have tried flv  mp4, and wmv. When I insert them into the help file and compile the only one I can get to play is the wmv file. It uses Windows Media Player and is a little clunky in that it requires a click on the play button and shows library items listed.

So, is there a way that I can have it play an flv or swf file produced by Camtasia in my compiled HTML help? I need to produce both compiled and WebHelp so I need a format that will play in both.

Thanks in advance for the help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What version of Camtasia are you using?

You should be able to make it work. I'm thinking the easiest way will be if you produce your Camtasia as a SWF.

Tell us more and we can probably provide what you need.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camtasia 6.0.2

I've tried the swf but I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Nita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, I've got the same Camtasia version handy.

Unfortunately I forgot to ask you how you were wanting to use the content. There are two ways.

1. You may insert it into an existing page along with other content on the page.
  2. You may simply import the HTML page Camtasia creates and open that page by itself.

Which method are you trying to use?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I thought I would attempt again with the swf file so I knew what happened. If it is inserted into a page does it play automatically when the page is opened or does the user have the opportunity to gesture to play it? If that is the case, that would be my preferred method, but if not a separate page would be fine. My Camtasia only created the swf file, not an HTML page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an swf file.

Added it to baggage

Linked to it from the topic using MultiMedia link

Compiled

When I clink on the link I get a dialog requesting if I want to Open or Save the file.

I select to open

It cannot find the file to run it so puts up a dialog requesting if I want to search the web for a program to run it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

So it's option number Three! The one I failed to list!

Your goal is to click a link, then see the video?

Here's how I would do it. Adding to Baggage certainly won't harm anything, but I believe it's wasted effort.

If I wanted to present the video by asking the user to click a link, I'd right-click the list of topics in the Project Manager pod and import the HTML page that Camtasia created. I would then create the link to open the page.

Or...

You could simply insert the video directly into a DHTML drop down or expanding hotspot. With these, the video is hidden until the user clicks whatever trigger has been assigned to display the video.

Does this help? Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I have to be difficult and want option 3.

I tried to import the HTML page and link to it. When I select the link I get a black page with nothing happening. Hmmm, not so effective.

I'm not sure how to add the video into the DHTML drop down. I can read up on the help on that and see if I can figure out how to do that.

The last time I created the swf output in Camtasia it did not create an HTML page. Is there some setting you know that I may have flipped to only create the swf file?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The process is pretty straightforward. I used the icon for Captivate. When you do that, you just browse to where the .SWF file is. I'm guessing there isn't really anything all that special about a Captivate created SWF as opposed to a Camtasia created SWF. I chose the SWF from where Camtasia created it and popped it right into the topic.

Not sure what to advise on the HTML page bit. Your post is a bit mixed. On one hand you are saying you imported the HTML page and it would appear it was successful. You are reporting the page displays but you don't see the video. I tested by importing the HTML page too. My Camtasia HTML page is black as well. But the video plays just fine.

So where did you find the HTML page? I ask because you later say that Camtasia isn't creating one. I poked around a bit in the Camtasia options and don't see where you may choose whether you get just a SWF or a SWF with the HTML page.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was trying to insert it using a regular hyperlink. You mentioned the Captivate icon and away it went!

I have been attempting this on and off for two days and have tried to create the videos from Camtasia in many different formats so I have a feeling that I somehow got mixed up with the missing HTML file from the swf creation. Anyway, I recreated the swf file from Camtasia and cleaned out all my baggage files before I got your last post.  Then I used the Captivate icon and it worked!

Sorry to be so brain dead. This is the first time I've made a video to put into the help and it is all new but now it works.

I have no idea what time zone you are in but I think  it is time for a celebration here!

Thanks again,

Nita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this post. I was having the same issue where I tried to click the "Click here to watch a demo on..." link to open the captivate movie in the .chm. I right-clicked Project files in the Project Manager and imported the .htm file that Captivate created. I then highlighted the "Click here to watch..." verbiage and linked it to the .htm. I had it linking to the .swf. When it was linking to the .swf and I tried to run the movie, I got an error wanting me to browse for a program to open the .swf. I though I had to have the .swf file in the same directory as the .chm. So I tried that before coming to the forum.

Bottom line - import the .htm and link to it, not the .swf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp