Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10 - installed but not functioning

Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this is a popular topic around here.  My problem is almost the same with a different twist.  XP Pro, large disk is 1/3 full, 1gB RAM, plenty of horsepower using an Admin level account.  Flash 9 was working fine until...  The user (with Admin privs) installed his own AV package against company policy and failed to observe that there already was inductrial strength AV on board.  This caused a HUGE performance hit and the two fought each other and finally caused a thousand false positives which in turn corrupted Flash and his printer control software (HP SolutionCenter which I'm told uses elements of the Flash player).  It even KO's the ethernet controller.

IE6 browses to a needed site but begs for Flash to be installed.  Check Add/Rem - shows Flash 10 installed.  Used the Flash detection link - it does not work.  So I dutifully follow the website's link for Flash and attempt to install.  Box pops up warning that I've chosen to install an old version and that I need the new version and I'm stopped dead.  Go uninstall using Add/Rem.  Reboot.  Revisit website, begs for Flash, refers me to Adobe for latest version, installer runs but the Flash animation doesn't play and I'm faced with the same scenario again.  Add/Rem shows it's installed but attempting to reinstall it seems to run OK but no twisting-F animation.  So, It's only getting "partially" installed, I guess?  So, I start digging and trying all the other remedies in Adobe's FAQ.  Included in these procedures is a call from command prompt for uninstall_flash_player /clean, reinstall with the downloaded (saved) install_flash_player which dutifully warns me that I've chosen to install an old version and that I need the new version and I'm stopped dead.  Rebooting after each step is chewing up huge chunks of time as everyone probably knows.  Attempted using SubActL etc.  Seems to work through without error but again no install either from the web nor the download package.  Attempted a freeware type registry cleaner - found lots of errors and cleaned them.  Uninstall/reinstall - call up the site - begs to install Flash again - nada - just llike hitting a wall.

There is a second account on the machine with Admin privs.  Install works and Flash plays.  First time I've ever dealt with this.  It has something to do with that user "profile" I'm sure of it.  I've scanned the forum here this evening and it's not looking too bright.  It's hard to think that just one piece of software is going to force me to reinstall XP and restart this thing from day one!

Anyone looking this over would care to give any other suggestions on how to unscramble this mystery?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to use the downloadable uninstaller from http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157 ?

Make sure that all browser windows are closed when you run the uninstaller.

If you have further problems, please specify the operating system and browser where the problem occurs.

P.S. could you post a screenshot of that warning that you're installing an old version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat - what a struggle this is!  Anyway -

The OS is Win XP Pro SP2.  There is quite a bit of Win update needed on this machine.

The browser is IE 6.0

Yes, I did try the downloadable uninstaller as part of the overall general stream of things I tried during the course of the all day effort.  I abandoned uninstalling and installing via the web because I, like you, suspected that having the browser open wasn't helping in this case.

Yes, I can go in this morning and take a screen shot.  I will post back ASAP.  Please watch the thread because it's going to appear as though I'm replying to myself.  Anyway, you'll see what I'm seeing soon enough.  And, I'll be sure to take good accurate notes at each step to pass along.  The company wants to reinstall everything but man, that just doesn't seem worth it at this point.  At some point though it will because they're interested in getting it working again.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have success!!!  I thought about this for a little and decided to approach it differently .  It paid off.  Here's the steps I followed.  For those of you who are struggling, this could be an answer.  Your mileage may vary.

First, I made an assumption that it was the user's profile that was messed up because I could install Flash under another user account - same machine.  Next I set a restore point and exported the user's Outlook data just in case of a catastrophe.

In normal Win, (this is important) I disabled all start up items using Mike Lin's StartUp Control Panel app.  All toolbars, add-ins, add-outs, all TSRs, all background helpers - everything - so I could get a "clean" profile to work with.  I also ensured that Flash 10 was showing uninstalled (not present) in Add/Remove.  Placed both the downloaded uninstall executable and the downloaded install executable in the root of C:\ so I could find it easily enough.

Key step - OK, reboot and get into Safe Mode.  Pull up a "command prompt" - pseudo DOS if you will.  Navigated to the root.  Executed this command:  uninstall_flash_player.exe /clean.   Ran through.  Next, executed from the root still:  install_flash_player.exe.  Ran through.

At this point I rebooted allowing XP to come up normally but again without any startup progs loading (see step 1), including Symantec Endpoint, the chosen Anti-Malware suite.  Once it was all settled in, I saw that Endpoint was still active as it's apparently called from more places than I could tell.  I went into EndPoint and systematically disabled all file system protection, net protection, firewall protection - anthing that was turned on and could interfere, I turned off.  I ignored EndPoint screaming at me that it was disabled - I know, I know - leave me alone for 5 minutes!!  OK, launched IE6, went to the website requiring Flash, and whadda-ya-know, we had lift off!!!  It no longer begs for the latest version of Flash and plays Flash perfectly.  Whew!  But we're not done yet.

Then I went through and meticulously started turning on the startup entries I'd disabled in step one.  Added in each one by one (yes it's brutal) and rebooting each time then testing.  I wanted to ensure that each startup was going to play nice with Flash.  Stayed solid all the way through.

So, Pat thanks for your offer of assistance.  I hope people will see this post and give it try.  You can always revert by turning everything back on using MSCONFIG or Mike Lin's neat little utility which I love.

Conclusion:  I don't have any idea why this happened.  I suspect that perhaps EndPoint or One Care while duelling with each other had quarantined a folder or file containing some settings that IE needed to recognize/synchronize Flash with some piece of software in normal mode.  Just a guess on my part.  I really feel like I accomplished something today and saved the customer a rather large expense of having to re-image and re-mount and re-install everything.  I'm all smiles 🙂

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that most of the time its a permissions issue with the registry. I have tried all the fixes that i could find in fourms, adobe's knowldgebase and nothing. This is the only fix i found to work for windows XP PRO, might work with home but not sure if it has secedit or not.

As administrator do the following

1. Open a command prompt

Start -> Run

type CMD and hit "OK"

2. Run secedit (this will reset all core file permssions and registry permissions.)

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

3. Download and run the adobe flash uninstall. This will make sure nothing is left from failed installs

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player.exe

uninstall_flash_player /clean

4. Install flash http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

5. Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines