Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 8 still slow after recommended fixes

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I hate to pick an ol' bone, but I'm testing a RH 8 trial download and I'm having some of the same issues that I've seen addressed in the forum. My main concern is the sluggish response in Project Manager in opening topics. I've tried adding the BaseCSS_res.dll file to the en_us folder (unfortunately no euphoria effect) , renaming the cpd file, and I've moved the test environment to my local network. I should mention that I'm experiencing the slowness in a copied project from RH 6. The project is on the small side (571 topics, contains some expanding hotspots, and lots of image maps), however the repsonse in RH 6 is still snappy.

I have noticed that the first few topics open with bearable speed, but the more topics I open, the slower it becomes. Must be caught in a loop somewhere - any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I can't help but to notice something you said.

... but the more topics I open, the slower it becomes ...

Are you simply opening and opening topics? If so, does the speed improve any if you press Ctrl+Alt+X to close all open topics?

In all classes I facilitate I will regularly advise the participants not to have more than perhaps three or four topics open at a time as I feel that eventually it will become unstable (or slow) and it just keeps the interface cluttered and makes it more difficult to find the topic you need.

Also, is the project on your local C drive? If not, that likely explains it too. If you attempt to edit projects while they are in a network location it will also cause all sorts of issues.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other solution has been posted and it doesn't always work. I am suffering this too.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

I hope this one gets fixed soon.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Rick and Peter, for your quick responses.

Rick, to answer your questions...

I first noticed considerable slowness when I was testing RH 8 with a project from RH 6 (i.e., opening topics, making sure everything was still there and functional, etc...), so that's what made me turn to the forum for answers. As I wrote earlier, I applied and tried all of the suggestions posted (including moving the project to the C drive). This helped, but I am still concerned about the slow response time in opening topics in project manager.

The thought did cross my mind that because RH 8 keeps topic tabs open for quick navigation, the more I open topics the slower it becomes. I don't need to have several topics open at one time, and would prefer to just be able to navigate between topics with reasonable speed - like in RH 6. Before I go searching around, do you happen to know if there's a way in RH 8 to turn-off the project tab feature?

Peter, once I have a chance to do more testing with RH 8, I'll definitely look into reporting any problems - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are times when the old method of one tab only would be better and I submitted it as a feature request. A Single / Multiple Tab option is needed.

Like I said, the more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow-up to my post this morning...

I've also discovered that while working with topics in Project Manager (RH 8), that once a topic is opened and edits or entries are made, the next time you open that topic, it shows were you last worked vs. at the top of the topic. A small thing, maybe, but it will take some getting used to. It could be that once I begin working full-time in RH 8, that it will be a good thing. I hope so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else seeing that? Whenever I reopen topics, it displays at the start. The only time I have seen it open anywhere else is if you double click a bookmark in Project Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya buddy

I've never seen it myself either. This makes me wonder if perhaps all the topics aren't really being closed and they are still open. (which would totally explain why things seem slow)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the slowness too, but I'm not seeing the issue with it opening edited topics in the middle. Mine always open at the top. It is slow for me even on the first topic I open (about 3 1/2 seconds). It is even slower on the second topic I open (about 5 seconds). Neither of these topics were complex or lengthy or had graphics. Interestingly, the third topic I opened was "faster" than the second at almost 4 seconds.

I think the slowness and the positioning of the opened topic are separate issues.

Lisa Zinzow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think RightOar is the only person to have seen topics opening other than at the top. Not disbelieving this, just no other reports.

What sort of chip do you have in your PC and what is the processor speed? I ask as I am seeing different performance on different machines and wondering if that is relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had more to add about this, but I'm still perplexed about this myself. On one hand I'm glad this is only occuring in Project Manager (vs. primary layout), but I think Rick may have been on to something when he mentioned that my topics are probably not really closing. Topics open where I last scrolled to (or the middle of a topic) when I have a few topics open in the project tab feature. When I actually close a project tab, and then re-open the topic, it opens at the top.

I can't help thinking I'm overlooking something obvious...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what it says in system properties:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU

T7300 @ 2.00 GHz

777 MHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

I wouldn't think it was my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lisa

That should be enough. If you have tried the solution on my site, then there is not much else to do but wait for Adobe to issue a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter! I so appreciate your responses on the forum and the wealth

of information you maintain on your website. You must be accruing loads of

good karma.

Peter Grainge <forums@adobe.com>

06/26/2009 11:09 AM

Please respond to

clearspace-1860110985-53890-2-2068598@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

Lisa Zinzow <lmzinzow@ra.rockwell.com>

cc

Subject

RH 8 still slow after recommended fixes

Lisa

That should be enough. If you have tried the solution on my site, then

there is not much else to do but wait for Adobe to issue a patch.

-

See http://www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

procks.png

(Peter Rocks!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without meaning to flog this thing to death...

After more testing in RH 8 with projects from RH 6 AND newly created projects, I've found that the slowness I experience in opening topics in Project Manager occurs only when opening a topic for the first time. What also happens is that when the topic finally appears, the scroll bar isn't there until I actually either click in the topic OR return to the topic after opening another topic. I can see if the scroll isn't there for new topics, or for one-page topics that don't require scrolling, but in RH 6 all topics that require scrolling open with the scroll bar readily available. There seems to be a connection between when the scroll bar appears and how quickly you can access a topic.

In RH 8, as I continue working in different topics, I can return to previously opened topics with amazing speed. So I'm guessing that the topic tab feature has little to do with the speed of opening topics. But, yes, it would be nice to have the option of disabling the tabs, so I've made a feature request to Adobe.

As far as the topics opening where I last scrolled to, my only conclusion is that the topic tab feature is keeping the projects "open" to work on until I actually close (X) them and re-open them to the top.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening for the first time?

In a session are you saying that if you open My Topic, the open ten more, then close My Topic, it opens faster. I wonder if you are just double clicking My Topic again and it is displaying the already open topic. If it did, it would "open" it where you left off.

Are you really closing topics or just switching focus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm just switching focus. I guess having worked exclusively in RH 6 for almost two years, the tab feature in RH 8 threw me for a loop and I wasn't used to having several topics "open" to work on from where I left off. I still don't like the idea of having to close topics in the tab feature, instead of it occuring naturally when I switch topics in RH 6 - but, like you suggested, I made a feature request to Adobe.

I'm still disappointed in the sluggish response time in opening a topic for the first time. Meaning I'm double-clicking on a previously unopened topic.

Have you noticed the scroll bar situation as well? Or am I just the lucky one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2009 Jun 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record, I have also encountered the scroll bar phenomenon that you described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting me know. It must have some connection with the slow opening time, but how to fix it is over my head at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp