• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there any application code-reading tools available?

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my query about BugHunter went unanswered, I thought I'd try again from a different angle. I need a tool that shows code associated with a screen, button, or command in the application when you use F1 or the CSH "?" on the screen/button/command. Instead of generating map IDs in the Help and passing them to the developer, we get the map ID number generated in the code and add it to the Help. I need something that shows the code for each specific app item to check the accuracy of these numbers. (The WinHelp BugHunter did that, but for some reason the HTML Help BugHunter does not.) Does anyone have experience with such a tool?

Lacona

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You said the WinHelp Bughunter works? If so, then why not continue to use it? I'm thinking that from the application standpoint, it's simply sending a MapID, no?

I know the call to a CHM is likely different, but if all you are looking for is the MapID...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, that sounds like a great solution...except that the app now calls up the HTML Help and, for some mysterious reason, neither the RH for Word nor the RH HTML BugHunter works with the app now. At the moment, I'm using a previous version of the app that calls up the WinHelp in order to document map IDs. However, there are now new screens in the app, and we need something to get those IDs. A tool that captures the code for the specific app item would be great, so I wouldn't need to search through all the app code.

Cheers,

Lacona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't your developers compile a map file for you? Or they might be able to customize something for you.

One of our peeps put together a little utility that provides a top-down listing when we press Ctrl+Shift+F1 (form, tab, grid, control).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon,

They do have a list of map ID numbers, but for some reason it isn't complete. Also, the names associated with the numbers are code names and it's difficult to know exactly what in the app some of them refer to. Finally, the developer often uses makes several specific screens from a generic one, so I cannot determine just from that list which specific screens relate to the ID number. I might ask if he can write a script for me that would show the code, though. That's a good idea.

Thanks,

Lacona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Grace,

Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop application provides a facility with which you can view each API call that is sent in response to a request for context-sensitive help. To access this, click View > HTML Help Messages.

Whether this works any better than the facilities provided by RoboHelp, I don't know. In my experience, the HTML Help Workshop feature is a bit hit-or-miss, especially when handling context help calls from many modern applications.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp