Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary tab in Cyrillic and Eastern European helps

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have problems with Glossary tab for Eastern European and Cyrillic languages (not for Western European or Asian though).
1. If in the glossary term there is an extended character, the term definition is not displayed (just nothing is happening, when you click the term). For terms written with Western European characters, definitions are displayed.
2. Additionally, the extended characters in all displayed term definitions are corrupt in CHM. But if the help is opened from RoboHelp (by right-click > View), the term definitions are displayed OK (no corrupted characters). The definitions in RH look OK. The extended characters in terms are displayed OK.

Apart the problems with Glossary tab, the helps look fine. TOC and index are working, no corrupted characters, etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix the issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Anna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2008 Apr 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
No any answer yet... 😞 Does no one ever use the Glossary tab for the for Eastern European and Cyrillic languages? Is the problem to "exotic"?
Thanks,
Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it on X5, 6 and 7. Always with the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an area that I know little about but in RH7 make sure you have the update installed. Also there is some information about language issues in the Using RH7 article on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest RH7 version installed. And I am quite sure there are used the correct language settings in the RH7 projects.
Thanks anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I cannot help you more. I must emphasise the patch is important. Help about should show 7.01.001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I double-checked the RH 7 version: it is the latest one – 7.01.001. (I wish the problem was that simple that installing the newest RH version helped ;-)
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 7.01.001
Windows XP (German)

I guess AnnaGK didn't get any help 😞 but I might as well add that she is not alone.
I have received a RH7 project translated into Russian.
The TOC and the contents/"Design" pages look ok in Russian ( e.g. В данном файле справки etc. )
but the Glossary (both terms and definitions) is garbled 8-bit ASCII ( e.g. òîáðàæàåò âñå ïîäêëþ÷åííûå ñèñòåìû è îáúåêòû, ñ etc. )

Why is that, and how can I fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the following in the Output view when generating the primary layout:

Warning: Data loss in converting Glossary data using choosen language.

D:\My Documents\TFS\BIS_Dev\S3K_Help\Platform\Language_1049\Operation\_Sources\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_0\Operation_BIS.hhp
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Note the language is set to Russian in File > Project Settings > Language

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were further updates in Patch 2. Try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2009 Mar 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Found the 7.0.2 patch kit on http://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html
Menu: Support > Updates > ComboBox:Products > RoboHelp

The readme (which is only available AFTER installation, not from that webpage) contains the line
Topics in Flash Help output don’t get displayed properly in the correct frame when linked from the Table of Contents in Flash Help output.

Installed it: Now showing 7.02.0001

Makes however no difference to my garbled glossary.
I look on the bright side - at least it didn't stop my Printed Documentation from working.
BTW the printed doc shows the word Глоссарий (Glossary) and then the same garbled entries as in HTML-Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution found (at least for my case).

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Tab:Advanced. > Pane:Language for non-Unicode Programs > Combo box:set the desired language and REBOOT.

You will have to change again back if you want to display other non-Unicode fonts such as Chinese, Arabic, Japanese etc. Which is rather tiresome because it requires a reboot.

The question for me is why the TOC and contents were shown correctly in Russian BEFORE changing this setting. I guess a RoboHelp .CHM application is partly Unicode and partly not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the problem is that Windows system is not Unicode based. To be on a safe side I always change Regional Setting and restart the machine to generate any language CHM.

Btw, it seems the Glossary tab problem for Cyrillic and Eastern European CHMs is solved in the latest RH update.

Best regards,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp