Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 5.0 - Index and Search problems

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using RoboHelp HTML 5.0.2, and am having problems with both the Index and the Search features.

1. Index: Whenever I click the Index Designer key icon within RoboHelp, the system crashes. Clicking the Smart Index Wizard in the Tools menu gives the same result.  We can forego having an index on our Help site, but I wonder if this problem is somehow related to our Search issues.

2. Search: Any search terms that we enter bring up what appear to be random results. Typically, the search term does not appear in the results pages, while other pages that do contain the term are not displayed.

Could our version of RoboHelp have become corrupted, or is there something else we can try?

Thanks!

Connie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Hi Connie.

Where are the source files located? It is good practice not to have them on a network drive as this can cause file corruption. try moving them to a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connie.

Where are the source files located? It is good practice not to have them on a network drive as this can cause file corruption. try moving them to a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Both the Source and Compiled files currently reside on my local "D" drive; however, the Source files were previously on a network drive, so maybe that's when they were damaged?

Is there a specific file (or set of files) pertaining to the "search" and/or "index" features that I should look for and try to replace?

Many thanks,

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem limited to just one project? The index is stored in your <projectname>.hhk file. Does the project compile OK? I ask as I'm wondering if there is some keyword that is causing the project to choke. You can also try deleting the <projectname>.cpd name before opening your RH project.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

We only have one project, which is the Web Help file for our software application, so I can't say if this issue affects other projects.

After deleting the <projectname>.cpd file from my local Source Files directory, I can now use the Index Designer within RoboHelp.  This is great news.

When I compiled the project and tried the Search function on my local drive, the results it returned were much better than those on the "live" web application, although still not 100%.   Shall I have our developer replace the  <projectname>.hhk file on our web server with my local file, and also delete the <projectname>.cpd file from the web server?

Thanks again,

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CorneliaP wrote:

...Shall I have our developer replace the  <projectname>.hhk file on our web server with my local file, and also delete the <projectname>.cpd file from the web server?

Hi there

No need to do that as the files you are talking about are source files and shouldn't be among the output files. If you are finding files with those names on your web server, someone made a serious mistake!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to both Collum and Rick for your replies.

I guess where I'm still not quite clear....

1) Search:  The search function works correctly when I view the compiled files on my PC; however, the search results seem random on the web application. Is there something our developer can do to resolve the discrepancy between the accurate search results on my PC vs. the seemingly random results on the web application?

2) Index:  I understand that this is a separate function from Search.  Therefore, is it correct to say that the Search can work properly, regardless of whether or not I build an Index in RoboHelp?

Thanks again for your patience in helping me to understand this process.

Best regards,

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What files are you giving the developer? It should be the entire contents of the folder to which you generate the webhelp output.

It is also important that the developer places ALL those files where he/she needs them without any renaming.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The index is now working fairly well on my PC, so I'll have our developer upload all the compiled files to the server.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

-Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One quick follow-up....does this mean we should upload ALL the compiled files to the server each time we modify an existing help page (or add a new one)?   Or just this once to correct the search results problem?

In future, will it suffice to publish just the .htm and .xml files that have been created or modified?

Thanks,

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From RH directly, you can select to only upload changed files or to upload all files. RH can detect what needs to be updated. However, if you are passing the files to your developers, the safest solution is for them to trash the existing help and all install the new ones. It sounds as if that is not what happened and what caused the problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing to understand about the files that RH creates in the wh* folders: the content within them is constantly being modified and swapped, and new ones are created as needed.

RH performs a load balancing algorithm to ensure that none of those files gets too large. For example, in the files whlstf0.htm through whlstf62.htm in the whgdata folder of my project, a change to a project might take content from 8, 12, 30, and 52 to populate a new whlstf63.htm file. And, of course, pointers to these files from elsewhere would also be adjusted.

Bottom line? Don't allow your IT folks to determine whether they can selectively replace only the files that are supposedly changed. All the files from your latest output generation must be made available.

Good Luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply; I didn't realize that RoboHelp modifies the files after they are published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, not exactly "after they are published." -- each time they are published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I just upgraded to Robohelp 8 HTML from Robohelp 7 HTML and my Index search is not working. When I delete the .CPD file and start up Robohelp I have a lot of Un-resolved links.

When I deleted the .CPD file when using Robohelp 7 HTML and started up again I did not have this problem.

Is there another file I should be deleting with the .CPD file?

What should I do?

My system uses:   

RoboHelp HTML V8.0

RoboSource Control 3.1

RoboHelp Server V8.0

WebHelp Pro 5.50 (7.00.145)      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You need to clarify. In RoboHelp you have an Index and you also have a Search. They are two vastly different things.

Is one or the other broken? Or both?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp