Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having problems recording a PDF form in assessment mode

Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 4 and need to record a PDF form being filled out in assessment mode.  It records fine in demo mode but in assessment it only asks user to tab or click and fills out the fields like in demo mode.

Does anyone know a work around or fix?  Thanks.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow I'm not sure to understand your question. You want to create an assessment in CP4 but it should have to be published as a PDF-form? And how do you want to retrieve the results? Normally CP4-assessments will be published as SCORM-objects to be deployed on a Learning Managemenst System which will take care of the results. You can insert CP4-movies into a pdf-document, but this is normally not suited for assessments, because PDF cannot turned into a SCORM-object. See also this blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/06/captivate_acrobat_integration.html#more

About recording in assessment mode: check the settings under Project, Preferences, Recording, Mode(s), Assessment Simulation. Normally Click boxes will be entered with a Failure Caption, and Text Entry Boxes will be entered for Text Fields with a Failure Caption. You can of course change those settings, p.e. add a Success Caption, limit the number of attempts etc. Individual editing of the different objects is also possible after recording. What does happen with your Text fields: is there a Typing object (text is typed out)? You could replace this by a TEB while editing, but it is easier to change the preferences before recording an Assessment Simulation.

Cheers,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilibiri,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a PDF form (A Human Resources form) that I want to demonstrate how to fill out by recording in Captivate to publish as a .swf. In assessment mode it types in the PDF fields itself (name, ssn etc) and only asks the user to hit the tab button to move from field to field. I would think since pdf is an Adobe format Captivate should be compatible. I have no problems recording all my other projects just this one. My work around is to enter Test Entries in each field except the problem with that is I need a submit button after each field to be able to capture input. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Joel B. Souders | 21st Century Project |

Organizational Change Management Team |

End User Trainer |

916.376.1769 | Email: jsouders@sco.ca.gov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Joel, now I understand better your problem: you are capturing an assessment simulation with the pdf-form as Software window. For the moment I do not have a pdf-form ready (should have to create one) but your workaround should be normally OK:

• insert a Text Entry Box (TEB), and change its dimensions so that it covers the text entry field in the form
  • if you want to check the text typed by the user, configure this in the Properties of the TEB, sheet Text Entry Box
  • I suppose the text will have to be retained, so activate this option in the same sheet
  • success and failure actions will have to stay at the standard 'Continue' if more TEB's are on the same slide, or set to 'Go to next slide' if each TEB is on its own slide
  • eventually change the shortcut to TAB (because that is the way to move to the next text field)
  • in the same Properties, sheet Options you can activate the option 'Show button' if you want also a submit button; here you can also choose Validate user input if you want to check the input and other options...

If I have some time left this evening, I will try to make a pdf-form (which version of Acrobat was used?) and try to make an assessment simulation.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the extra tips. I am using Acrobat 8.0

Thanks.

Joel B. Souders | 21st Century Project |

Organizational Change Management Team |

End User Trainer |

916.376.1769 | Email: jsouders@sco.ca.gov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources