• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using DHTML in RH v7, is it possible to trigger 2 effects at once?

Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there

I'm working on developing a topic on the system's main screen. This screen has 6 sections. What I want to do is provide a text description for each section while highlighting where that section is on the screen (for example using a border around the section).

I've used the drop-down effect for the text description. When I try to add the show/hide effect, the drop-down disappears. Is there any way to combine both? Or is that in the newest version?

Thanks for all your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you possibly using the TCS version of RoboHelp?

I ask because if you are using that you also should have access to Adobe Captivate. That's what I use for multiple effects as you are describing.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By TCS you mean the Technical Suite? No, I only have RoboHelp 7.  And Photoshop CS3, but that doesn't help me here.

Any options?

Thanks

Nath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Can you mock up a screen shot of what you hope to accomplish?

Sorry, maybe I'm just having an off day. I'm struggling to visualize what you want to achieve. I'm thinking if I can see it I might be able to tell you how (or if) it's possible to do.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, I appreciate! I've attached a screenshot of the desired results.

Basically, when the user clicks on the Navigation Menu hyperlink, I would like to drop-down the description and popup the red rectangle highlighting the area. Not sure it can be done.

Also, the text I added to the DHTML drop-down turned red, and I can't seem to return it to automatic again. Is that a Styles issue? I've tried to fix it, and saw in the GooberGuide that the hyperlink and the text can be 2 different colors, but can't seem to achieve it myself.

Thank you again,

Nath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying to make this work and it just doesn't want to!

So here is a thought. You are able to make the border surrounding and highlighting the image show and hide on the mouse click. I'm doing that using a Positioned Text Box. My thought here is that you could use these to layer in images that also have the descriptive text as part of the image or maybe even inside the Positioned Text Box. I'm thinking that would work.

Please note that the DHTML Hide/Show functionality is far from being remotely close to "cross browser". It works in IE, but not in Firefox. At least on my own PC here.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for being so long myself, I'm trying to accomplish what you suggest. I'm able to create the Positioned Text Box around the area I want to highlight, and another one with the text placed under. I can also create the show/hide effect, and link each positioned text box to the trigger. But I still can't make both effects work at the same time! Only the last "programmed" trigger works. If I could group both Positioned Text Bos, it would be perfect.

I agree that layering images with all that is required would work, but it would involve a lot of maintenance, and make for a huge help file.

I could use arrows and such to point to each area, but not sure users would enjoy.

Any other idea?

Thanks for your time!

Nath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Okay, since we agree that getting both effects to work simultaneously probably is more effort than its worth, what about a compromise?

You program the DHTML drop-downs with the information. Inside each of the drop-downs will be a trigger that the user may click to see the area? For example, you might insert some text that says something such as: Click here to highlight the area we are referring to.

Just thinking out loud a bit... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just ruminating, and I may have totally misunderstood your intent for the output. but what about image mapping, combined with popups?

on your graphic of the main window, add whatever visible lining you want to delineate the sectors of the image that will do something when you click on them. then insert the image in your topic, map to the sectors, and select the popup option for the linked content, which you would put in separate topics.

am I missing your point?  might this be a somewhat-old-fashioned-but-serviceable approach?

-Laurin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick, I think that may be the best solution. I hadn't think about that yet, Thank you!

Laurin, I had thought about using image mapping - it was in fact my first option. But after testing, users thought it was just too much information on a small area. The help appears on a small terminal screen, I have to keep it simple.

Thank you both very much for your help.

Have a nice day,

Nath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp