13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 4:10 PM by larry red miller RSS

Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

larry red miller Community Member

Most of the files on the Web site I am redoing, have names that use Caps. Example:
      ArticleAgencyIn.html

ServicesExec2.html

There are about 40 such pages. Can I rename them, for example this way?

articleagencyin.html

servicesexec,html

I suspect I can rename them any way I want and nothing bad will happen. Links will be renamed as well. Anything I need

to know,
      to do,
      to be warned about?

As always, thank you.

• 1. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?
          Jesper G. O. Møller Community Member

As long as you work within you sitefile/folder ther shud be no problem, if you worri take a backup bfor and test by changin one or two filenames

• 2. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?
            Kath-H Community Member

Mac or Windows? One or the other will rename it right back, can't remember which - I stick to lower case throughout after being burned like that. Come to think of it, I use Macs so watch out if you do!

Try just one, a page with very few links, to start with.

• 3. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

Kath-H wrote:

Mac or Windows? One or the other will rename it right back, can't remember which - I stick to lower case throughout after being burned like that. Come to think of it, I use Macs so watch out if you do!

Try just one, a page with very few links, to start with.

That i have never seen happen... and im on a mac to

• 4. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?
                johndonaldson Community Member

If the Make URLs Case Sensitive option is set in the URL Handling settings for the site, then changing the file name in GoLive's site window should also throw a dialogue to update the link(s) to the file to match. What happens at the file system level depends on the file system, OS and version. If you end up with a mismatch in case between the filename and the link reference to it, what happens will depend on the server you are using to serve the site and the file system, OS and OS version the server uses.

John

• 5. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

> work within you sitefile/folder ther shud be no problem, if you worri take a backup bfor and test by changin one or two filenames

That's what i did, with 7 or 8 files so far and so far no problem at all.

A few things happen:

The new file name shows next to the file after I've corrected it, as you would expect. But when I open that file/page, it shows the old name. That does not change till I quit and relaunch GL.

When I recheck the links, command-5, other pages I have renamed, among the links, show the new name properly.

One precaution:

It takes time and is a nuisance, but is a lot faster than getting a BUG icon and finding the problem: before I rename a file/page, I open the In/Out Links, write down what is going into that page and what is coming from that page. Then when I rename it, I check that those links are the same. If a difference occurred somehow, I might choose not to save the change and have time to figure out what's what.

• 6. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

> Mac or Windows? One or the other will rename it right back, can't remember which - I stick to lower case throughout after being burned like that. Come to think of it, I use Macs so watch out if you do!

Try just one, a page with very few links, to start with

Mac. I did as y suggest, one page with few links, and as I replied to another answer, so far all's well. I make a list of links in and links out for each page I rename, "just in case," and then review it to see if the inks are the same after I save the rename.

A follow-up question:

Sometimes I see a link from Page X coming in, and a second link from Page X coming in. Is that a technical error in GL? Or doers it mean that I have more than 1 link to the page I am renaming from Page X?

• 7. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

larry red miller wrote:

A follow-up question:

Sometimes I see a link from Page X coming in, and a second link from Page X coming in. Is that a technical error in GL? Or doers it mean that I have more than 1 link to the page I am renaming from Page X?

Not shure i understand the question but...

In the in and out link you see pages that links to that page on the left side ... and to the right youll se what resources/pages that side is using/linking to ...

If you mous over the pages/links youll get a note in the left coner with the url to the file you pointing at .

At the right youll also se component/templates/smartobject and so you ar using. A () at the end of the hover note wiil tell you that

If you see more that one image file (or other) that shud be the same, at the right side. it may be that you have that file 2 difrent places in you site and are using both... or it cud be a link to a component/smartobject or similar...

Hover over the link files shud help you figure taht out

• 8. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

> Try just one, a page with very few links, to start with

Because I am not comfrotable with the subtleties of software, if it hiccups, I did just what you say, but did it this way:

Select the page name

Command-5

Write down (abbrev) links going in

Write down (abbrev) links going out

Then change the name, typically

ArticleGoodDesign.html    to

articlegooddesign.html .

Then recheck the links.

No problem.

Some pages do show incoming links that are in the Site Trash. I have zero bugs in the Site window, so I am loathe to (scared to) empty the Site Trash or drag its files to the Finder Trash until the new version has been uploaded.

Also some pages, when I show links by selecting the page name, show the Site Trash, but when I open that age, it does not show the Site Trash. Any idea why?

Open to suggestion.

• 9. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

> If the Make URLs Case Sensitive option is set in the URL Handling settings for the site,

John,

I looked in two manuals and through the Mac GL CS menus and can't find what you name above. I also tried the Control key to see if those choices were hidden there. No luck. So where do I find them? Thanks.

• 10. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

> If you mous over the pages/links youll get a note in the left coner with the url to the file you pointing at

Thanks, did not know that. But some of those files are in the Site Trash. Not sure how to delete the links. Maybe I have to delete those files by taking them from Site Trash into the Finder Trash. What do you suggest?

• 11. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

larry red miller wrote:

> If you mous over the pages/links youll get a note in the left coner with the url to the file you pointing at

Thanks, did not know that. But some of those files are in the Site Trash. Not sure how to delete the links. Maybe I have to delete those files by taking them from Site Trash into the Finder Trash. What do you suggest?

If you have links in you site pointing to files in the trash, you will need to relink those to files in the site. File in the trash will not be oploade when you upload you site to the server...

What might have happen is that you at some time may have deleted or moved those file to the trash wile they still is in use.

Ther are severel fixe you can do ...

First... are you haveing the files in the trash in another version/copi in the site folde ?? ...

if so you can use the lasso tool to relink those link to the version of the files in the site...

ore you can move them back into the site by simply draging them frome the trash to the site window

You can simply empty the trash and there after look at the site to see wher and what files are missing and redo them (You can make a bakeup of the trash by taking a kopy of the "site trash" folde its in the site.data folder)

When looking at files in the site window you can see a litle black dot in the "used" colum  ... that dot indicates if the image and file is link to (In use) by other some file (You may have to expand the window or scroll right to se the "used" colum) , this can be a great help when trying to find out if a image/file are in use

Be aware that some file/image may not show up as used if those used by a script or for some reson is not link to direktly by a url. GL tels you with the dot that ther somewear in the site is a url to that file

• 12. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?
                                Kath-H Community Member

I'd have the site window open, but click out into the Finder, and pull all the files out of the site trash onto the desktop. When you click back on the site window, if you get an attack of measles everywhere - red error blobs - you need those files. Highlighting the errors that show up should show you what is calling for those files. don't panic - you can always put them back

• 13. Re: Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

Thanks. You're a very helpful person. Very clear. Gonna try it. Tuesday!!! (Unless I can't help myself.)