Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 compiler produces File dated 3 years ago

Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fUsing RH 8 to produce HTML Help

Compiling changes made to a topic dated 7/1/09. View Selected item shows correct changes.

Topic List shows topic changed 7/1/09.

Windows Explorer shows topic was changed on 7/1/09.

Compiler says "compilation complete".

Click 'View Results' - changes not there.

Windows Explorer shows .chm file modified on 6/21/06.  Hmm.

Other projects are unaffected. The changes made appear in the output and modified date in Windows Explorer shows correct date of last change.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We have seen this many times over the years. Basically in every case what happened was the person experiencing the issue had more than one copy of the .CHM file on the PC and they were viewing the older copy.

Yes, I know you are clicking the View Result button and what you should be seeing is the latest. But take a moment and use the good old Windows Find utility to locate all occurrences of the .CHM file name.

You will likely be surprised at what you find.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks, but no luck.  Sure the good old find found the older versions, but the Output Folder and File Name in my HTML Help Options contains the "old" version.  I have deleted the output folder and its contents, and compiled again, but the Output Folder and File Name get recreated with the 6/21/06 file. Just one of those things that make you say: "Hmm..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Could this be a Version Control "thing"? I installed the latest Version Control, have never used it, but perhaps I hit a combination of control keys or random mouse clicks around the File menu triggered something?

Mark

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:19:29 -0600

To: steelcasemark@hotmail.com

Subject: RoboHelp 8 compiler produces File dated 3 years ago

Hi there

We have seen this many times over the years. Basically in every case what happened was the person experiencing the issue had more than one copy of the .CHM file on the PC and they were viewing the older copy.

Yes, I know you are clicking the View Result button and what you should be seeing is the latest. But take a moment and use the good old Windows Find utility to locate all occurrences of the .CHM file name.

You will likely be surprised at what you find.

Cheers... Rick

| http://www.robowizard.com/pc.gif | Helpful and Handy Links

• http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

• http://www.gooberguides.com/ProductPages/RoboHelp/RoboHelp72Day.htm

• http://www.ShowMeSolutions.biz

• http://sorcererstone.wordpress.com/

• http://www.gooberguides.com |

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

At this point it could be related, but I doubt it.

I seem to recall a recent thread where this was happening to someone else. (Scratching head and trying to recall....)

Seems they had some sort of software monitoring changes on their PC that was the culprit. Have you tried a search of the forums? Seems I saw this within the last 3 months or so.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the links.  I'll look into them.  I changed the Output File Name and the .chm file was the correct version.  To tempt fate, I changed the Output File Name back to the original, and the issue still remains.

As for the re-naming issue, the developers would not like to change the filename.  I have six single-sourch output so I would not want to change the the fielname each time I compile the source file.

Anyway, I'll mark you answer as "Helpful".  Thanks for your time.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

here is how I resolved the issue:

I deleted every version of the .chm file with the same name on my PC (not to worry, I did not delete the source) and re-compiled. The .chm file was created with the correct date and changes.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp