Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After converting to RH8, conditional text now contains erroneous spaces

Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large RH project that contains several conditional tags to reflect different products built on the same platform. I have recently converted this project from RH 7 to RH 8.

Before conversion, my tagged product names looked like this:

PRODUCT1PRODUCT2PRODUCT3PRODUCT4

After conversion, an untagged space was entered after each piece of tagged text. So, they now look like this:

PRODUCT1 PRODUCT2 PRODUCT3 PRODUCT4

It seems to compile fine EXCEPT when a tag is followed by un-tagged punctuation. This is a bit of a problem - since the find/replace doesn't seem to respect conditional tags, I have to go through a few hundred pages and edit out the spaces manually.

Has anyone experienced an issue such as this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't encountered the problem but it occurs to me that for something like this wouldn't you be better off using variables?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem before (RH 9.2 and 2000) and never found a fix. It never gave me trouble when the conditional pair was followed by a space, only when there was unconditional punctuation.

(Hmmm...Unconditional Punctuation...good name for a technical editing company, that...)

Anyway, I am interested to hear whether using variables avoids the problem. We're about to upgrade to RH8, and variables are one of the new features I want to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should not get this problem with variables as the topic contains a placeholder for the variable value. The space is not part of the topic.

I don't use tags a great deal but when I do, I have not seen this problem, I can't help but think it is something to do with exactly what is tagged.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2009 Jul 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also encountered this problem and have not found a solution. I am working with RoboHelp 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp