Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a PDF file much smaller

Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with Acrobat version 8 with Office 2007 and trying to convert an Excel file to a PDF.  The Excel file is a single page and the file size is 750kb with several photographs set on a background, all of which have been compressed.  When I create a PDF from this file it is producing a file up to 28MB in size, and I can't seem to get it under 10MB which is clearly far to large to e-mail, any ideas on how to make this into a much smaller file without loosing all the quality of the photographs?

Thanks

Katherine

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean that the graphics are compressed? Just want to be sure we are talking the same thing.

How are you creating the PDF? Are you printing to the Adobe PDF printer or using PDF Maker (the create PDF button)?

With the one you are using, what is the job settings that you are using (in the properties of the printer?

The quality of the photos should be fine down to 600 dpi. I use 300 dpi. The old standard for computer graphics was 100 dpi from the CalComp days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, 300 dpi can be quite high depending upon its intended use. If this is for screen viewing only you can probably be safe with 100 dpi or less. If its going to be printed on a inkjet or laser office printer I'd bet 200 dpi might be sufficient. The key is to make the reduction on a copy and see if the fidelity is adequate for its intended purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the responses, to compress I am clicking on the picture options button and selecting compress to 96dpi (suitable for e-mail and screen viewing).

I am creating the PDF using the PDF Maker with ths job setting set to smallest file size.

Hope this helps

Katherine

For your info I have attached the file I was trying to convert to PDF incase there is something in that that is causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not attached - apparently I'm not authorised for that!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you saw the attachment button it should have let you do it. You will get a screen to select the file and after the attachment you should see it on the display before you submit your post, between the Attach Files notice and the Browse block just below it again.

The smallest file size may not be what you want in the long run. It will not embed any of the fonts - probably not your problem. You might want to go into the various settings files with the edt selection in the printer properties to see the difference of the various settings. You can change some of them (you may have to save to a new settings file, don't recall from the printer) and see the effect.Some times the problem with graphics is that millions of colors are used when only 2 or 256 colors are needed. That use of colors can substantially increase the file size. However, graphics are usually compressed, even in Acrobat and should not be a major issue. The compression can be a problem with the PS file that is create in the process of getting to the PDF, due to memory limitations in the TEMP folder (OK, I tend to explain too much).

Anyway, let's keep trying things and maybe we will learn in the process of helping you. Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill, I'll try again to attach it now and see what happens.

Cheers

Katherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still won't let me, think it may be a firewall problem at this end though cos it is telling me I am not authorised to view this file (even though I created it in the first place??).  I'll have a play with the settings and see what I can get it to create for me.

Thanks again

Katherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if you have a sample file that you can post that has a similar problem. Another option is to post it locally and put the link here. It may be that an XLS file is not permitted for attaching (similar to the DOC limitation). The PDF would probably not be accepted due to size. So, if you can create a sample that might still address the problem and not get into the size issues and such. Good luck on posting it some place.

For a sample PDF, you might use the Extract pages to save a few pages that you think would demonstrate the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps your company doesn't allow you to send attachments or post PDF files ? Might be their firewall rules. Something to consider as it's not unheard of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If upgrading is an option I'd highly recommend it. Acrobat 9 does excellent optimization. It seems that has been upgraded somewhat from earlier vesions.

Otherwise as Mike suggests reduce the resolution.

P.S. If you'd like; upload the pdf here and I'll give it a shot with Acrobat 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines