- attached the master page to all topics

- recompiled and republished

still, they don't appear on every page.

Inez

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It will depend on exactly where inside the Master Page content you added the Placeholder. If you added it inside the Body placeholder, that's why. You need to edit the Master Page and move it up just above the Body Placeholder.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Tried that.

Result was: 2 breadcrumbs or 0.

But I had both 1) master page and 2) activated breadcrumbs during generating help.

So I recompiled without the option in the generation process.

now: I have either 1 breadcrumb or 0.

Is it possible that breadcrumbs only appear on topics I have been editing since upgrading to RH8? It looks like all the other topics don't have breadcrumbs, even though the master page is applied.

Inez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Okay... taking deep breath here for lengthy explanation.

DOH.png

Breadcrumbs used to be simple. You enabled them or disabled them in version 7 and they showed or not depending on the setting.

Enter RoboHelp 8. Now you have many possibilities. You may still globally enable them in the layout properties for WebHelp. But you may also add Placeholders. And you can insert a Breadcrumb Placeholder in many places.

• Master Page
  • Topic
  • Header
  • Footer

If you are using the Master Page, you may insert the Breadcrumbs placeholder inside the Body Placeholder or outside.

If the Breadcrumbs Placeholder is inside the Body Placeholder, only topics initially created using the Master Page will include the Breadcrumbs Placeholder. So if you hadn't used the Breadcrumbs Placeholder prior, adding it to the Master Page inside the Body Placeholder WILL NOT propagate them to other topics by applying the Master Page. No way, no how.

Now if you add the Breadcrumbs Placeholder OUTSIDE the Body Placeholder and apply the Master Page to existing content, they WILL propagate.

Theoretically you could end up with some topics having as many as Three different Breadcrumbs. If you added the Breadcrumbs Placeholder inside the Body Placeholder of a Master Page, then created one or more topics based on the Master Page. There's one copy. If you later changed your mind and moved the Breadcrumbs Placeholder outside of the Body Placeholder, the topics created from the Master Page before you changed it would now have TWO Breadcrumb trails. And if you elected to enable them globally in the WebHelp layout, you would end up with a THIRD level of them.

It's almost like the story of the man demonstrating his fancy word processor. Look, with a few keystrokes I can change all instances of the letter A to the letter C. And with a few more keystrokes I can change the C's back to A's. (Including the letters that were C's to begin with - D'oh!)

So you probably need to visit any topics that were initially created using the Master Page and remove the Placeholder from the topic content.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that explains it Rick!

I decided to delete the breadcrumbs from the master page, and activate it while generating. I don't have any breadcrumbs added manually on topic pages, so I presume that minimizes the work.

There are still files that don't have the breadcrumbs now.

Not too sure how to solve that, but as I have 154 topics in 2 languages, I'll sleep over it and start fresh on  monday...

Thank you!

Inez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

I now tried the following settings

- no breadcrumbs on master page

- breadcrumbs activated during compilation process

-> this results in either 1 or 0 breadcrumb after compilation

I added a breadcrumb to one specific topic on the topic page itself. but it doesn't appear after compilation.

- I added breadcrumbs to master page and edited and saved the topic where the breadcrumb didn't appear.

- I unchecked the breadcrumbs option during compilation process

-> this results in ... either 1 or 0 breadcrumb after compilation. and the topic I edited manually still doesn't have any breadcrumb.

Thank you, Inez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

one more thing:

- this is the result after compilation: no breadcrumb

breadcrumbs_no.jpg

- and this is what i see with the "View selected item" (button with glasses): 1 breadcrumb

breadcrumbs_yes.jpg

Inez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

Despite your clear explanation, I seem to be unable to correct this problem.

Could you tell me if and how I can check in the Display view or in the HTML view wheater or not the breadcrumbs will appear?

Kind regards, Inez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp