• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you protect the content in a chm?

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know some users have thought of some creative techniques for preventing content from being copied from a chm, spefically Pete Lee's JavaScript methods. However, I was wondering if anyone knew how to append a copyright statement when the content is copied over?

For example, let's say a user copies the content from the chm. When they paste the content, it adds a copyright statement to it at the bottom. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Hi, TechWriter77,

It looks like the code sample that I posted originally was stripped out when the (really excruciatingly slow) forum software that we now use was introduced a few months ago. This is my original message:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/macromedia.robohelp.general_discussion/msg/cc1830466ac3fbf1?hl=en

Worth noting that Peter Grainge reported a potential problem with the method in this thread:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/macromedia.robohelp.robohelp_for_htmlhelp/browse_thread/thread/6dace8692f27889e/e96e121abc51580e

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think a while back I saw Pete Lees post a script that would handle appending a Copyright.

Keep in mind, however, that this only takes you so far. After the paste occurs, there is nothing preventing the user from simply stripping away the added information. So if you are intent on thwarting copying of material, this may not be sufficient.

I happened across some software the other day that I'm still in the process of evaluating. This software purports to protect CHM files. Maybe you want to investigate it as well?

Click here to visit the site

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick for the suggestion.I will try that solution you posted once I explore this copyright statement - I think this is all my manager wants for now.

Does anyone have the code that Pete Lee posted a while back? Even though I found the 'citation question' I can't find the code/instructions used in the thread for some reason?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, TechWriter77,

It looks like the code sample that I posted originally was stripped out when the (really excruciatingly slow) forum software that we now use was introduced a few months ago. This is my original message:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/macromedia.robohelp.general_discussion/msg/cc1830466ac3fbf1?hl=en

Worth noting that Peter Grainge reported a potential problem with the method in this thread:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/macromedia.robohelp.robohelp_for_htmlhelp/browse_thread/thread/6dac...

For some other ways to protect the content of .chm files, see:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/devdocs/thread/ec8f7185-3a1e-4cab-bc76-fa7036bff816

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Pete! I'll give these methods a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Pete's instructions I figured out how to get this work within my RoboHelp project.

1. In my css, I put:

p { color: black; }
@media screen
{
p.copyright{ display:none; }
}
@media print
{
p.copyright{ display:block;}

2. In my template file, I added the following in the footer:

<p class="copyright"><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; color: #ff0000;">
Copyright 2009 ABC company Inc. All rights reserved, blah blah blah </span></p>

This works out great. When a user copies or prints the entire page, the copyright statement is added to the footer.

My question: Can we add the copyright statement when a user copies only a part of the page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll leave Pete or someone else to answer the question. Re the CSS change, check what happens if you edit the CSS using the built in editor.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter. I read about that issue you posted in another thread and decided to edit the css in an external editor instead.

I should also mention that I tried posting the <p class="copyright"> line in other areas of the RH template (i.e. header and body), but the copyright statement did not show up properly when the page was either copied or printed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp