Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with & and index

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2009 Jul 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I am new to Robohelp.  I created a project.  None of the title or file names contain the & character but some of the headings in the topics do.  When compile the project and create the index the character before the & and the & are truncated.  For example, in heading1 I have T&E Items..... and the index entry shows E Items.

I searched help and the boards but could not find anything.  I did check the HTML view and it correctly shows T&E.  I am using version 8

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Kathy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if your index keyword is This & That, you only see That in the index?

Use the camera icon above and show us some screenshots. Seems to work OK here in a quick test so I need to see exactly where you are seeing this problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Peter

the index looks like this index.png

and the topic h1 looks like this

topic.png

thanks again

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works OK for me as well Kathy. Exactly how were these keywords created?

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created them using the Smart Index Wizard and kept all default selections in the wizard

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try T & E rather than T&E.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I get the same results

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import one of the offending topics into a brand new project.

Same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zip up that small project and send it to me via http://www.cutesendit.com.

You can get my address from my site. Please include a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. The answer was in your first post.

"None of the title or file names contain the & character but some of the headings in the topics do"

The index uses the topic title so no ampersand there and there will be no ampersand in the index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the topic title to include the amersand and get the same results.  My understanding is that the file name cannot have special characters like &

I set the settings in index wizard to use just the topic title and this is what I get

index.png

Heading1 and the Topic Title reads T & E Items

?????

Thanks

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take another look in the morning. It's late here in the UK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.  I will try some different things and post if I find anything significant

I really appreciate your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bug in the Smart Index Wizard.

You can manually enter Index Keywords with an ampersand but and  if your topic title is This & That and you use the Smart Index Wizard, it creates two keywords so This & That becomes

This

That

Two things.

- Personally I avoid the use of ampersands in anything like a topic title and topic heading and similar things in other applications precisely because of issues with special characters.

- You should report this as a bug. The wording highlighted blue above will be sufficient. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help Peter.

I am curious though as you said it worked for you???

The only way I could get it to work was to check the box that I wanted to verify each one and then add the new ones in teh wizard process.  Is this the easiest way to manually add indexes

Thanks again

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works with manually entered entries, that is when you type a keyword in the box at the top of the index pod and click the + sign next to it. You are still trying to use the Smart Index Wizard and that is where the bug is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp