Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a new folder causes RH 8 to freeze

Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a folder to the Project Files folder causes my project to freeze everytime. I think something is up with an fpj file somewhere. Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think that an fpj file is at fault? Added a folder should not cause a problem. Is the project source on a network drive (bad) or a local drive (good). Can you also tell us what the folder name is and how/where you are creating it.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replay. The project is on a local drive. Under Project Files, I've created a folder called "HTML_Folders" in which I store the folders and associated topics for each manual chapter. I created the HTML_Folders so the project folder was tidier in Windows Explorer.

To give you an idea of the heirarchy.

Project Files

--HTML_Folders

----00_Introduction

----01_Getting_Started

----02_Work_Environment

Hope this clarifies. Regards, Jennifer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you specifying the "-" characters in your folder names. It isn't necessary and maybe the cause of the problem. Also am I right in thinking that there is no content in the "HTML Folders" folder? Why not just use:

Project Files

00_Introduction

01_Getting_Started

02_Work Environment

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have "-" characters in folder names and prefer to have an Images and HTML_Folders folder in the root folder to keep things organized. Any idea why RH keeps freezing?

Thanks, Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you specifying spaces before the folder names or are you just specifying the "-" character to pictorialise your folder hierarchy and I am being a complete nonce? Are you able to create any folder or does it crash on the first one? Do you have write access to the folder where your project files are located? Does the same happen on a new project with no content? Sorry for all the questions!!

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you specifying spaces before the folder names or are you just specifying the "-" character to pictorialise your folder hierarchy and I am being a complete nonce?

--I am not specifying spaces before the folder names or the "-" character to pictorialise the folder. See the attached image.

Are you able to create any folder or does it crash on the first one?

--It crashes after the first one. I can't create any folders.

Do you have write access to the folder where your project files are located?

--I do.

Does the same happen on a new project with no content?

--I can add folders for other projects, including new ones with no content. It's just this one that's giving me grief.

Sorry for all the questions!!

--No worries. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth closing your project, renaming the projectname.cpd file and reopening the project. If this doesn't work, can you tell us the name of the folder you are trying to add and where it is being added in the folder hierarchy?

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the CPD didn't work. I want to add two folders (RL and RLE) to the HTML_Folders folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked in the FPJ file for the folder under which you are trying to create these folders?

Open it using Notepad.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at the fpj in Notepad and there isn't anything there that shouldn't be. I'm stumped.

Are there any implications for starting a new project and importing all the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked using Windows Explorer to check the folder has not been created and is just not showing?

Also see this thread. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/94408

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did check Windows Explorer and read the details of the thread link you provided. No luck.

I imported the topics and elements to a new project. It took a little time, but it was worth it in the end.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an effort to nail this one, could you try one more thing if you still have the problem project?

With the project closed delete both the CPD and the PSS file. Any change?

If not, would you be willing to copy the rogue project to me? If you are, please send it via http://cutesendit.com including a link to this thread.

You can get an address from my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

I've tried what you've suggested to no avail.

You should receive a link for the file shortly.

Cheers,

Roborabbit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp