• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft HTML output not showing content...

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning folks!

In addition to my previous issue with importing (now solved), I am having issues with my chosen output on my Windows XP machine.

I am attempting to compile to a Microsoft HTML Help output. All seems to go well while compiling, no errors are reported, and when I view the output, the TOC is there, and the way I would like it. However, any of the contents (book or topic), do not display in the Content Pane. I get a lovely "The page cannot be displayed" error for any of the content I wish to view. I have tried the following:

I have checked my LAN Settings are set to auto detect

I have enabled SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, and TLS 1.0

I have set my security to Medium

I have ensured my cipher strength is 128-bit

I have also test-compiled to WebHelp and all content displays. I am sure this is a simple fix, but it is excaping me at the moment, so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and cheers!

~Hopelessly HTML-ed with How-To's

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Try moving the CHM to a local drive assuming it is on a network drive (and this can include your desktop or My Documents folder). CHMs are affected by a MS Security patch that producing this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving the CHM to a local drive assuming it is on a network drive (and this can include your desktop or My Documents folder). CHMs are affected by a MS Security patch that producing this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joy and bliss is mine as I step out for my morning coffee break. Yup, so simple a fix did indeed work! Yahoo! Errr...

Thank you both for your quick reply.

~Happily Hopping through HTML Harmony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to have your CHM hosted on a network and accessible from a client application? We are developing in .NET.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is already in the thread.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I see is lifting the security patch. Is that what you are referring to Peter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is to an article on my site that describes the necessary registry changes that need to be made to allow the CHM to run.

That is the only way to enable a CHM to run on a network. If it is someone else's network, make sure their IT admin is happy with this change as there are no prizes if something goes wrong.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Peter,

You are referring to Fabio Pagano's solution. We did try that and eventually got it to work. Initially it enabled us only to open the CHM manually (by double-clicking the file( on a network drive. When called from the application the help window opened and displayed the security error page "Navigation to the web page was canceled".

It was not until we changed the security zone settings using MaxAllowedZone as described in the MS Knowledge Base 896054 link that we got "context-sensitive HTML Help from .NET" to work. (Remember to restart your application after changing security settings.) We are deploying over a local intranet, so we will create a Group Policy to handle this security issue for client users.

Thank you for your help and kindest regards,

Joseph

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-cannot-view-chm-files-network-xp-2003-vista/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp