3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 3:54 PM by Epic_Jeffrey

ExtendScript Toolkit CS4 update due anytime soon?

01af Level 1
      ExtendScript Toolkit CS4 (for Windows) is driving me nuts. Am I the only one having problems with the way the editor is handling tabs?

-- Olaf
        • 1. Re: ExtendScript Toolkit CS4 update due anytime soon?
          Level 1
          > Am I the only one having problems with the way the editor is handling tabs?

There are more than a few of us having serious problems with ESTK. It's really
          easy to confuse it when using an external editor when debugging. It will happily
          ignore break points and debugger; statements at unpredictable times. It only
          occasionally recognizes the '$.level = 1; debugger;' idiom.

Depending on the task at hand, I sometimes test and debug in CS3 (which has it's
          own unique set of problems) and at other times, I'll go all the way back to CS2.
          ESTK/CS2 has it's own weaknesses, but it is by far the best to use for
          debugging. YMMV.

-X
          • 2. Re: ExtendScript Toolkit CS4 update due anytime soon?
            Ben Pellet

I've outlined the problem with tabs in the new extendscript editor in this thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/287547

I still haven't been able to speak with adobe support to fix this problem, they have support for all the apps but when it comes down to extendscript itself there seems to be a hole where the support should be.

I'm now developing on a Mac and it's even worse than the Window's build because it crashes often and loses the information in the variable watch window.  So debugging is quite a pain.

I'm now using the javascript interpreter in eclipse to write my code in which is way better than the extendscript program, even though I still require it to work properly when debugging.

I'm looking into getting a better support license from adobe so I can get through to them over these issues.

Regards,

Ben.

• 3. Re: ExtendScript Toolkit CS4 update due anytime soon?
              Epic_Jeffrey

In desperate need of a fix for this too... the tabs being broken is big fail. Whats up with the limited settings? we use Tab Stops of 3 for all of our code here and you guys only have a drop down for even numbers? what kind of editor is this?

Are there any better script editors or debuggers that i can use?