8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 4:46 AM by Gilles Guillemin RSS

Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4

richardleggettmk Community Member

Hi,

After downloading the Flex 4 SDK beta 1 and copying it into my Flash Builder 4 (beta) sdks/ directory I get internal build errors on all projects (e.g. a new one).

Has the SDK format changed for FB4?

Sources:

SDK 4.0.0.7219 - http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+4

Flash Builder 4 - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_flashbuilder4

• 1. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4
          CoreyRLucier Adobe Employee

So, when there are internal build errors the actual crash info (call stack) is logged in the FB error log.  I'm on Mac, but you can view the error log with something like:

Help-->Product Details-->Configuration Details-->View Error Log

Post the error here and we can hopefully decipher.

In any event, I'm not sure it's a great idea to copy files over into your Flash Builder installation per say ...  I usually check it out in its own location and add a new Flex SDK ...

(Window-->Preferences-->Flash Builder-->Installed Flex SDKs)

That way you can create a new project and specify your alternate SDK in the new project wizard, leaving the stock SDK that came with FB unmodified.

-Corey

• 2. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4

Hi Corey,

Thank you. Yes this is what I do too, I haven't modified the original SDK, I've just extracted a freshly downloaded new SDK into its own new folder, I just happen to copy that into the same parent sdks/ folder as I'm regularly running several SDKs and builders for various reasons and it makes sense to keep them all together. I then add the SDK in Flash Builder as you describe, sometimes setting it as default if I'm working with a remote team so we don't have to co-ordinate SDK names exactly.

I'm on a Mac too so I don't have the menu option you describe, however the log in the workspace/.metadata/ folder contains:

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2009-07-08 15:18:20.852
            !MESSAGE Uncaught exception in compiler
            !STACK 0
            java.lang.ClassCastException: flex2.tools.oem.LibraryCache
                at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.GumboConfiguration.applySharedLibraryCac he(GumboConfiguration.java:50)
                at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASBuilder.applySettings(ASBuilder.java:3 37)
                at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASApplicationBuilder.setup(ASApplication Builder.java:67)
                at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASItemBuilder.setup(ASItemBuilder.java:5 4)
                at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.BuilderFactory.createBuilder(BuilderFactory.java:8 0)
                at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.BuilderFactory.createBuilder(BuilderFactory.java:5 9)

[snip]

Again, this is a newly created project, created after I set the 4.0 beta 1 SDK as the default in FB 4.

• 3. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4
              deepa subramaniam (adobe) Adobe Employee

Hello -

There is a known problem with the Flash Builder Beta build when switching to use a nightly 4.0 SDK - you will get an internal build error citing a ClassCast Exception. This is a Flash Builder issue that was fixed post-Beta. The problem with using nightly SDK builds in the Beta comes up only when you use more than one version of the Flex 4 SDK (i.e. a nightly build and the one included with the FB Beta). You will get an internal compiler error.

To resolve this issue, you could switch all your projects to use the same version of the Flex 4 SDK (or Flex 3 is ok), and then restart Flash Builder to get rid of the build error _OR_ create a new workspace (and ensure you're using only one version of the 4.0 SDK in that workspace).

Please reply back to this thread if this does not work.

Cheers,

Deepa Subramaniam

Flex SDK Engineer

• 4. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4
                sharonma Community Member

Hi Richard,

This is a known issue http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-19867 which happened in Beta build but should be fixed in latest build.

Thanks,

Sharon

• 5. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4

Thank you Deepa and Sharon, I had set all projects to use the default SDK, so restarting fixed it but I'm glad to hear you will be able to use combinations post-beta.

I've experienced some incredibly strange things when frequently switching SDKs (for forward compat. testing) with Flex Builder 3 also, such as an RTE which told me a local array (var observers:Array in PureMVC's View class) was actually a FlexEvent. Of course it wasn't, and restarting Flex Builder fixed it that time also. Anyway this means I can now switch to Flash Builder 4 so thanks again.

• 6. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4
                    tinylion_uk Community Member

!!!! what!!! Oh thanks so much. This had been driving me mental!

Such a simple fix too. Aint it always the way

Cheers for the head up.

glenn

• 7. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4
                      Gilles Guillemin

Hi,

I've tried to apply Deepa's workaround every possible way but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm trying to use today's nightly build (4.0.0.8811) but I keep hitting the same current error. I'm using Flash Builder Beta 1 Eclipse plugin (with Ganymede) on a new workspace, with only one project created in the workspace.

• 8. Re: Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4
                        Gilles Guillemin Community Member

FYI, it now seems to work fine (Nightly Build 4.0.0.8945). I can even manage to use different versions of the SDK in the same workspace.