• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can splash screen cover the contents pane?

Jul 09, 2009 Jul 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

RH8..generating Windows HTML help

Is it possible to make a splash screen cover the entire help window, contents pane included? I would like the splash to be full-screen and then redirect to a welcome message in the standard two-pane help window...contents on left.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Hi there

For what it's worth, Pete pointed out the same thing I did earlier.

Pete, please feel free to correct me on this. When I used the control via RoboHelp, it only allowed me to select a bitmap image (file type of .BMP) so I'm not 100% sure .GIF format will work.

Perhaps that's the issue?

Also, if you are hand coding this instead of using the supplied RoboHelp dialogs, you will likely need to also ensure you add the image to your list of Baggage files. If not, RoboHelp isn't going to be aware

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2009 Jul 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you are compiling a .CHM file and using the HTML Help Shortcut control, it seems to work if you specify a BMP image that is large enough to cover the .CHM display area.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The HTML Help ActiveX control provides a Splash method that was designed for just this purpose. Here's a small sample file that illustrates how to use this method.

http://rapidshare.com/files/254213668/Splash_Sample.zip.html

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

So, I added the following code to my Welcome Message (the topic I want to appear after the splash).

<object id="splash" classid="clsid:adb880a6-d8ff-11cf-9377-00aa003b7a11">
      <param name="Command" value="Splash">
      <param name="Item1" value="SplashImage.gif">
      <param name="Item2" value="5000">
    </object>

The image does not display. I placed the code between the body tags.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

For what it's worth, Pete pointed out the same thing I did earlier.

Pete, please feel free to correct me on this. When I used the control via RoboHelp, it only allowed me to select a bitmap image (file type of .BMP) so I'm not 100% sure .GIF format will work.

Perhaps that's the issue?

Also, if you are hand coding this instead of using the supplied RoboHelp dialogs, you will likely need to also ensure you add the image to your list of Baggage files. If not, RoboHelp isn't going to be aware of the image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to use a separate topic as a splash page with a redirect to the welcome page.

I did try the splash feature through RH, rather than hand coding, and got it to work that way too.

Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Rick, I thought you'd recommended using a Shortcut control to achieve this, which is why I suggested using a Splash control instead.

In my testing (not using RoboHelp, as you may know ), splash graphics in BMP and GIF format are fine but those in PNG and JPG aren't. It shouldn't be necessary to add the graphic to the baggage, as the compiler will pick it up automatically.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem, Pete. I just thought it was funny.

*WARNING* - Sidetrack ahead

The pastor at our church talked one Sunday about an aspect that had always puzzled me to that point.

You know how you have a spouse, friend, co-worker, acquaintance or colleague that may ask you a question and you provide an answer. Yet from your perspective they seem to ignore your answer and continue to ask others. Then finally they accept the answer from elsewhere and you scratch your head and wonder why they didn't accept what you said. After all, it was the exact same thing the final person offered that was used and accepted.

I know it's happened with me. A LOT. And it always puzzled me greatly until that Sunday.

He said that somtimes it's not the message itself at issue. The person can ask others time and again and always get the same answer. It's the fact that in order to *HEAR* the message, for some reason or other, the universe has declared that it *MUST* be heard from a specific individual or medium.

Weird, huh? But it makes perfect sense when you observe the behavior and think about it.

I always enjoy your posts! I also often learn from them.

You either have an amazing memory or you are really good at organizing your data for easy recall.

Thanks for the assist! We are happy you help us here!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp