Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searching for Acronyms

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This may have been answered previously but couldn't find answer. Am using RH7 WebHelp. I have many pages with acronyms in title and body. Searching in RoboHelp by the acronym brings no results, except for a couple of Word docs and .pdfs that have the acronym.

Is there any way for users to be able to search using an acronym? I am upgrading to RoboHelp 8 and am not sure if this is possible with new version.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Hugh. How are you formatting your acronyms? I am still in RH7 and it seems to be working fine for me.

Are you talking about searching the compiled output, or in the RH project that you work in to create the Help?

How do you format your acronyms?  I searched on GASB and PDF and they came up fine. I don't use periods between the letters - do you (i.e. G.A.S.B.)?

-Laurin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laurin,

I'm talking about the end users searching the compiled output. For example, I have many pages with "OBM" in title and body. Searching for "OBM" with no periods, only brings up the associated Word docs and .pdf files, none of the html pages containing "OBM".

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there may be something else getting in the way, because, as I said, I can search on acronyms quite successfully in my help projects - I have tested a few now.

so how about conditional build tags -do you use them? Could you be excluding topics you didn't expect to, as a result of the build statement you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

There's a little used feature in RoboHelp that may help with this. You might open the Index designer and list the acronyms there.

Just tell your users it's "Enhanced Search". Not sure who coined that term. LOL

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hugh,

In your set of WebHelp files, look for some XML files with "whfwdata" in the file name.  In one particular project's WebHelp output, I've got these files in both a whdata folder and a whxdata folder. I think these files drive the search function.  As a test, see if "obm" (every entry seems to be in lower case) appears in any of those files. Let us know what you find.

Ben

GryphonMountain.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp