• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting error when trying to insert Camtasia SWF file

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there is a size limit on a SWF file inside RoboHelp? I'm not sure this is the problem but it appears so.

I have created a demo file to include in my help file using Camtasia. I've published it as a swf file. I ran a test with a test swf file before going down this path and all was good. I used the Captivate button to open the Multimedia window, selected my swf file and it came in and ran after compiling.

Now I have created my real demo file and I get a lovely runtime error that closes RoboHelp completly when I select my swf file. The error message says abnormal program termination.

So, I took the same project and made it smaller from 11 MB to 4 MB and tried the same method for putting it into the project and all was well with the 4MB file but not with the 11MB file.

I also read some other posts that suggested bringing in all the associated files as baggage and linking to one of those files. So, I brought in all the associated files as baggage files and tried to link from the swf file in the baggage directory and I get the same results. The 4 MB file works fine and the 11 MB file crashes RoboHelp. I am using RoboHelp 7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nita

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've never known a limitation, but surely one may exist.

In the event you discover that it becomes impossible to add a SWF beyond a certain size, you could always employ a workaround. Create a small SWF that is sized as you wish to see it. This one would be repeatedly copied as different names. Then change its name and insert that one. Sort of like a "Placeholder".

This would get the code properly inserted. Then you would just copy the larger "real deal" in and replace the "placeholder" with the larger file.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Nita.

I experimented with RoboHelp 7 first.

I tried test files of 17.5 MB 15 MB and 8 MB. I used old Captivate 2 swfs. I realize you're using Camtasia but these were the only big swfs I had handy. I tried two ways.

Scenario 1 - no problem

Import 17.5 MB SWF with associated HTML file that Captivate creates. RoboHelp is programmed to bring along ancillary companion files along with the SWF. This was not a problem and there were no crashes. Unfortunately I don't believe RoboHelp supports the extra files Camtasia creates. Is there a way for Camtasia to create a single SWF without proprietary extra files?

Scenario 2 - runtime crash

Embed a *single* 17.5 MB SWF into a topic using the Insert > Multimedia (instead of Captivate command). I got the same abnormal crash runtime error you reported.

So I am thinking the crash is not occuring because of the size of the SWF. I think it has to do with some companion files that are needed. I don't use Camtasia. Does Camtasia create associated files similar to Captivate? It sounds like you've tried to bring those into baggage and had mixed results. All I can say is that the size did not seem to be the issue. Rather, the method of embedding (inserting) the single SWF into a topic vs. Importing the companion HTML file as a topic (which Captivate produces) was the difference.

RoboHelp 8 tests - Finally, I ran both scenarios in RoboHelp 8 and had no problems with either method. This doesn't help you but one of the nice things I like about the new Captivate 4 is that you can generate a single swf if you choose. Sorry Rick and I don't have an easier solution right now .

John

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John and Rick for your information and help.

There is a way to generate a legacy SWF from Camtasia that only produces one file. It has limited controls in viewing but I will try that to see if I get better results. I'm perplexed that the one file works and the other doesn't but at this point I'm pretty much perplexed about it all.

I also entered a support issue on the robohelp error. I may need to look in to upgrading. I've been holding off to see how this new release acted but it appears it may be time to upgrade our copies.

I'll update this thread if I find the solution so maybe others can learn from my challenges.

Thanks again,

Nita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nita

If you can make the Camtasia content available, I'll be happy to test from my end to see if I can find a workaround for you.

You could zip it up and use TransferBigFiles.com or YouSendIt.com.

My address is rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick,

I am able to insert the video into RoboHelp when I produce it with the Legacy SWF options with limited controls. Yipee!. The downside to this solution is that when published as a WebHelp project, the video starts playing immediately when you hit the page with the video on it. Thankfully, you can stop it, but not ideal.

I did go ahead and send the one that is published using the Express Show option as it is a preferable viewer in that the controls are more obvious and I do not get the automatic playing behavior in WebHelp.

If you have a chance to see if I could find a way to insert this one into a RoboHelp project without crashing that would be great.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Nita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Nita.

I asked Adobe engineering if they would take a look at this and they have agreed.

It sounds like you have already sent the SWF to Rick. I am emailing Rick to forward it on to Adobe to analyze what might be causing crashes.

Hopefully we can figure something out in all this.

A note regarding the start vs. autoplay situation. As far as I know RoboHelp has no particular say in this matter. I believe the player code and opening behavior is embedded in the SWF. I know Captivate has an "autoplay" option.

John

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nita

Sorry for the delayed reply. It's been a long day.

I was able to coax your files to work. I tested with both CHM output as well as WebHelp.

Here's what I did.

Added all the files in the zip as baggage files in a folder I created.

I then inserted a TOC page that pointed to the HTML page in Baggage.

I tried importing the HTML page so it would be just another topic, but as John (and maybe you) have seen, it causes RoboHelp to gag and crash.

A further note on autoplay. There are a few ways around it. Captivate files used to autoplay immediately too. But in version 4 they added an option that allows presenting in a paused state initially. If you have a Camtasia file that is autoplaying, you should be able to tweak the object code on the HTML page and add a parameter that causes it to remain paused. Or, you could tuck it into a RoboHelp HTML DHTML drop-down. Then when the user clicks the link to reveal the drop-down, the movie begins playing.

If you want to tweak the code, here is what you need:

tmp1.png

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thank you so much. This technique worked! I would have never dreamed of adding it as a TOC page linked to the HTML baggage file. I really appreciate all your effort.

Have a great day!

Nita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John,

Thank you so much. Hopefully they can figure out why it is crashing RoboHelp - seems rather rude behavior from an application. Anyway, I really appreciate it. As I responded to Rick's post I can use the workaround he came up with to at least get it in there.

Thanks for all your help,

Nita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp