Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating WebHelp

Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have WebHelp files (v5.10) that were gernerated by RoboHelp an number of years ago. Knowing nothing about RoboHelp or WebHelp how do I go about updating the WebHelp files with additional content. I do not have a copy of RoboHelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch. I'm not sure it's possible. I think it also will depend on if you have source files or output files. Below are the options I could think of.

Without using a help tool:

If you have the output files only, then I suspect you'd need to be an expert in HTML, CSS and Javascript and it would probably be nasty.

If you have source files only, then I don't think it's possible to do without a help tool, as the output files are very different from the source files, with a lot of additional support files for navigation, etc.

With a help tool:

If you get another help application that understands Robohelp source files and has a web-based output, you could import into that and generate their version of webhelp. But in that case, you might as well get Robohelp (assuming the cost is comparable, I suppose.) as that will offer the easiest path.

If you only have output files, I'm not sure of the ease of getting those into a different help application. Even if you get Robohelp, there is a lot of work to be done to get them into shape for use as source files. Peter Grainge's (www.grainge.org) site has a topic about that I believe.

I've never tried any of the above, so I'm just theorising. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a trial version of RoboHelp and imported some of the files into a new project. I was able to veiw some of the pages and the links were functional, but I was not able to get the TOC working. Also, I do not know what to do with the whdata, whgdata & whxdata  directorys and their content. Import them(Could go into the directorys themself to import the files but not sure if that is correct) or copy them into the project from explorer? Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a trial version of RoboHelp and imported some of the files into a new project. I was able to veiw some of the pages and the links were functional, but I was not able to get the TOC working. Also, I do not know what to do with the whdata, whgdata & whxdata directorys and their content. Import them(Could go into the directorys themself to import the files but not sure if that is correct) or copy them into the project from explorer? Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you have got the output files into RH8 as source files. You need to old X5 source projects or you have even more problems to address.

The source project will not have wh files and folders, except within a folder called !SSL!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, getting a clearer picture. I have the output files, but I do not have the old x5 source project. Probably explains why the TOC does not work. Is it possible to rebuild this project with the output files? Will www.grainge.org be able to help me with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Fellow Adobe Community Expert Peter Grainge's site will likely point you to my site for this. So I'll save you a step and link directly.

Click here for the info

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much for the info.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last question before I dive into recreating new RoboHelp project from the WebHelp output files. Do I import the files from the whdata, whgdata & whxdata directories?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

I think Peter answered that for you in the earlier post. Those are ouptput files RoboHelp creates. You don't need (or even want) them among your source.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp