• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Captivate / E-learning suite right for my needs?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Captivate / E-learning suite right for my needs?

Having been on hold for over 90 minutes to Adobe yesterday, and searching Adobe.com and You tube for info I am throwing my request for information at your collective feet.

The organisation I work for needs to deliver some e-learning modules, these are informing on non-software based actions and information.

We have had modules professionally designed for us in the past (almost certainly in DW or flash) – the number that we need for the next 12 months has grown, although each individual module is smaller – so professional design is less attractive due to minimum costs per module.

Content at the moment is delivered as a page or frame of text, with still pictures, video, and audio content. Roll over information, and links through to supporting documents and web sites. The user then clicks on through the pages as they demand. Finishing with a quiz and a certificate of pass mark.

The core of any information I have found about Captivate 4 represents it primarily as screen recorder. I need to build a module outside of screen recordings.

Is captivate the product to do what I need?

I can’t find any in-depth information beyond “it’s a great screen recorder and software demo tool”.

There doesn’t seem to be any supporting documents, books, videos that could be used as a platform for training users how to work with Captivate 4 – and I can find no face to face trainers in Australia.

If anyone to shed some light on what captivate is capable of doing beyond screen recording, and if there is any training available online / from books / or face to face in Australia I would be very happy to hear from them.

The available delivery formats that Captivate can output would be very helpful too – as a government organisation we have a limited amount of software / updates we must work with.

Many Thanks

Gav

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

From what I see of Captivate I would rather use this than the program I just finished using in my Master's of Education class: Lectora.

I think having the modules as a swf is better plus I believe that the assessment in Captivate looks to be more modern than the standard "ugly" Windows window for feedback that is furnished in the Lectora Publisher edition. I also like the integration capablities and the extra features added to the existing programs (Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)

Most importantly is to have someone who will be able to learn the programs and use them to get a good ROI.

My two cents.

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Donna,

My main concern comes from the promotion of Captivate as a screen recorder and software training tool - it's the ability to create e-learning modules on ANY subject, not just a screen cap of software demo that I need.

Getting some kind of confirmation that Captivate 4 is a good tool for this is my main goal.

Delivery so that is can be viewed through nice basic software like Acrobat reader and Flash 9 is a definite advantage for working with large clients.

Many Thanks

Gavin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2009 Jul 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gavin,

Captivate is a screen recording tool, and a software training tool, but it can do much more.  You can import PowerPoint shows, flash movies, and animations.  You can create "blank" projects, and put almost anything you want into them.  Rollovers, captions, links, voice overs.

Check out http://www.iconlogic.com/

They offer books and online training about Captivate.

I hope this helps.  If you give more specific examples of what you need we might be able to guide you more.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter,

I think I'm getting a clearer picture of what is possible with Captivate now, and that's the 2nd time I've seen Iconlogic mentioned as a trainer - so they must be doing something right.

Many Thanks

Gavin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Iconlogic is one of many companies providing Adobe Certified Captivate instruction. Many companies are using the curriculum they wrote. Note that their curriculum is designed for two uses. Learn it on your own with no instructor present and as a companion for an Instructor Led class.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info Rick - the challenge is that the students (including me) are in Brisbane Australia.

Live, instructor lead is much preferred, but does mean that one end of the operation needs to work through the night (think we are 14 hours ahead of EST).

Thanks

Gavin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources