• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Word footnotes?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wanting to import a Word document, for webhelp, that has several footnotes. RoboHTML (tried versions 6-8) converts these to just a number in a brackets for the reference, and the target footnote text is lost.

Is there a way to get RoboHTML to import Word doc footnotes properly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing this is because the concept of footnotes does not exist in HTML.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter's right. But if you open your original document in Word and do a Save As an HTML (.htm) file, the footnote shows up. So that's what I would do if it's vitally important to keep the footnote text near the topic it's associated to (i.e., if there are lots of footnotes).

If there are only a few footnotes, I would not do that, because I would much rather stick forks in my eyes than save Word as HTML. There is another Word feature that might be helpful - convert footnotes to endnotes. If you did this, you would get one page (one topic after converstion to Robo) with all the footnote text on it, which you would then need to copy and paste into the appropriate topics.

Both of these are workarounds, but I hope one of them isn't too painful for your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a nice solution but it brings you into the world of Word's idea of HTML, and it ain't good. You need to do some cleaning up to avoid problems later on. That's covered in my topic on Importing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp