• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Archiving Documents Using Conditional Build Tag

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for suggestions to resolve a problem I've encountered this week.

Using information from a post by Rick Stone, I was able to create a CBT (Exclude_from_Search) that, when applied to a topic, removes that topic from the published Search results.  This work fine on a small Project that I tested it out on.  I'm now trying to apply this same technique to a large Project, only to continuously get booted out of RoboHelp completely.

Any thoughts or suggestions on another way to keep archived documents in RoboHelp but out of the published intranet findings?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps consider changing the tag name to be shorter. I'm not sure if you are using other tags, but there is a limit on the number of characters you may use.

I would consider that as well as perhaps creating a folder where the archived information ends up. Move the topic(s) into the folder. Actually, that would simplify things because you could then just apply the tag to the folder to easily nab it all in one fell swoop. Note that if you take this approach, you have to apply the tag to any new topics placed in the folder.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the folder thing, changing the CBT to "Archive," and unfortunately this produced the same result.  (See attached)

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the folder thing, along with changing the CBT to "Archive," and unfortunately had the same result.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

So RoboHelp closes down when you attempt to apply the tag? Or when you attempt to generate output using an expression that would exclude the tag?

Also, one of your posts said "see attached", but nothing was there to see. Were you trying to upload a screen capture? If so, use the Camera icon.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error/booting occurs as I try to generate the Project using WebHelp.  I have RH7.  Also, I am only publishing using the WebHelp SSL with the CBT indicated.  Does that make a difference?  (I tried a batch using a specific SSL and the WebHelp, but I'm liking doing that wrong, too -- not even at novice level with this stuff.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it generate properly without a build expression?

You might try right-clicking and configuring a new layout. See if that changes anything. Also, resist the temptation to right-click and duplicate the layout. Sometimes the issue lies with the layout and when you duplicate, the issue follows into the new layout.

Consider your layouts to be similar to recipes used when cooking or baking.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it generates fine with out the tag.

I built a new SSL, and still the error/booting.

Do we call time-of-death, or have you more tricks for me to try?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Likely you have one topic at play. The trick is to determine which topic it is. Have you enabled your Output View? If so, perhaps that will provide a clue which topic is gagging the process.

Other than that, I would suggest the folder bit I suggested earlier. But work in stages. Depending on how many topics you need to archive. If you are archiving 20 topics, work with 5 at a time. Eventually you will be able to isolate exactly which topic(s) are culpable. Then you can scrutinize them.

Good luck! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still dying, and with no reasoning in Output view.  I believe it's time to give up this quest.

Should anyone have other suggestions or reasoning, please respond.

Thanks for all your help, Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your project isn't too large or if it contiains information I shouldn't see, please feel free to zip it up and send it to me at rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com.

You could use a service such as TransferBigFiles or YouSendIt.

http://www.TransferBigFiles.com

http://www.YouSendIt.com

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it would be frowned upon (compliance stuff).  Thank you, though.

I did find something interesting in the Output, though.  I don't know if/how this would affect the CBT, but here goes:

Note the odd file path (C: and N: ???)Output view RC Prob.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I see two large issues with this.

1. You have deviated from the typical !SSL!\WebHelp folder and are generating to the network. Changing that alone may fix your issue. Just right-click and create a new layout and it should list !SSL!\WebHelp as the new location.

2. The messages are advising that you are linking to PDF files that are not present in the folder where RoboHelp is expecting to find them. Perhaps you need to add them to your list of Baggage files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, same situation.

It continuously "dies" at the Updating phase on Generating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally gave up and rebuilt the project.  The problem was in one of the .pngs or attachments, it seems.  All is well now.

Thank you for all the advice, Rick.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp