• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a Euro into my InDesign document?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to know how to insert a euro symbol into my Indesign document.

I have looked at other posts and the suggestion of holding down the Alt key with 0128 doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

I am based in England.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm from Ireland and the Euro symbol is a pita.

The keyboard comes fitted with an Alt Gr + 4 (the right alt key and the number 4 on the top row) but that does not translate well across RIPs and often come out as question marks or blank squares.

Please use the Euro Font that is available for free http://www.adobe.com/type/eurofont.html

Usually I will use a symbol I don't usually use in the document (being in Ireland I don't need the £ symbol at all), so I use that symbol but in the Euro Font, available in 3 different flavours with different weights.

So pick a symbol you won't use and then apply the Euro font.

I have a nested style for Euro symbols that applies it as a character style. And with CS4 it should be possible to use a GREP STYLE to apply the Euro font to anywhere you need the Euro symbol to show up.

It's really the best option as it's a font and it's a character of a font and it won't drop out of the RIP.

(Suggestions for alt characters to use could be ¬ or $ or ~ or #, for example. That way if you need to find $ or £ you still can without finding all the Euro Symbols too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene

Thanks so much for your help.  I downloaded as you suggested and then used the Glyph Tool as suggested by Petteri - so I am VERY happy!

Only thing I dont know how to do is make the euro symbol bold - there doesnt seem to be an option for this - but its not too much of an issue, although it would be good to know how - any ideas?

Many thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use a font that has euro character, I usually pick it with Glyphs tool (Type>Glyphs), many new Open Type fonts has it.

If not, I use euro font as suggested earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Petteri

Thanks so much for your help.  I downloaded the font as suggested by someone else and then the Glyph Tool as you suggested- so I am VERY happy!  I had to use a certain font as it is company policy!

Only thing I dont know how to do is make the euro symbol bold - there doesnt seem to be an option for this - but its not too much of an issue, although it would be good to know how - any ideas?

Many thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You would need to change the style of the font to Bold

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5985/99058301.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines