Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PProheadless.exe

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

first post here.  I'm running Adobe Production Suite CS4, v. 4.01.

System specs.: Asus P6t Deluxe v2, i7 processor, 12 gb ram, matrox rt.x2, 4 internal sata drives at 250 gb each, 2 tb raid 0 for video.  Window Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

I'm also encountering this same issue on a seperate computer:

specs.: Asus P5E3 Deluxe, 8 GB ram, quad core processor at 2.67 mghz, 4 internal sata drives, 1 tb raid 0 for video.  Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.  Again, running Adobe CS4 Production Premium.

The issue: from Premiere Pro export uncompressed avi through Adobe Media Encoder, 30fps, progressive.  The timeline contains simple lower thirds and an avi.  Media Encoder will begin the coding process and about 1/4 of the way through the timeline this error will appear:  "PProheadless.exe has stopped working."  I have already searched this forum concerning this issue and did find one entry that stated a resolution ... Edit>Preferences>General, and then check "optimize the render=memory."  This did not resolve the issue.  I also have Windows Vista running fast with the bare essentials and have virtual memory set for efficient operation.  Anyway, it would seem with 12 GB of ram that Media Encoder would have enough to work with.  I have used CS4 for several months and at first the PProheadless.exe never appeared.  I'm scratching my head as to why now.

Is anyone else encountering this issue with AME?  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Cliff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you outputting uncompressed as UYVY? not 210

Can you get the timeline into After Effects and use Composition\Export\Make Movie?

AME has many problems with anything that is not DV. You don't state what your sequence settings are? Have you recently changed something?

Good start, but a little more info would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  Concerning media encoder it doesn't matter what format I attempt to use.  I'm still getting the PProheadless error.

The original footage was shot as P2 media, though in standard definition.  The paremeters in the Panasonic AG-HPX170P was 16:9 (or squeeze mode), standard definition, as DV.

I attempted to bring the timeline into After Effects yet AE is not reading the lower thirds in the file.  Scrolling through the timeline in AE the screen will simply turn black everywhere a lower third is present.

I even attempted to bring the timeline into Encore, via dynamic link,  which was successful, yet the encoding through Encore (mpeg2 for DVD) will freeze Encore and Premiere halfway through the timeline.  Encoding merely stops as well.

Perhaps the P2 files are a problem, yet they shouldn't be per Adobe's advertisement.   I can export to tape with no problems.  Very strange and very frustrating.

Your response is appreciated.  What else am I missing?

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected.  The original footage in the p2 format was shot as DVCPRO.

thanks again,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliff3939 wrote:

The timeline contains simple lower thirds and an avi.

If you shot SD DVCPRO on P2 then there shouldn't be an .avi file. You sure it's not an MXF file? What were your sequence settings?

It's not a P2 problem. I've editied a feature and bunch of other stuff shot in every frame rate using P2 files. Never had a problem like that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, my apologies.  The file is a mxf file, not avi as I previously stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sequence settings are Matrox-SD, 720x486, NTSC, widescreen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try plain 'ole DV-NTSC for your sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new sequence within the project and even went outside the Matrox settings to set-up as you say "plain 'ol DV NTSC" and got the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I checked another post concerning this same problem I too have noticed that AME is running up the ram.  Naturally when the ram runs out the PProheadless.exe appears and coding stops.  Why is AME running up the ram?  Adobe, can you address this please.  This is occuring on two machines running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK folks, I was able to contact Adobe technical support on this issue and they have at least for now have solved my problem.  I also need to say that I'm not a computer engineer so any explanation as to why this works is beyond me.  Technical support suggested that PProheadless is working with too many core processors.  Since the i7 as has 4 physical cores and designed to multi-thread to 8 cores technical support suggested reducing the number of cores that PProheadless is working with.  In this case the magic number is 2 cores.  Hopefully adobe tech support will appear to clarify and perhaps verify this.  Below is the process by which to accomplish this:

Set-up AME to encode as you normally do.  When parameters are set and AME has loaded the file, before starting the queue bring up Task Manager in Windows Vista.  Under the tab Processes find the PProheadless process, right click and find the setting "set affinity."  Once you click "set affinity" another box will pop up with all processors clicked, i.e., CPU 0 through CPU 7 (8 cores).  Uncheck CPU 2 through 8.  Then start the queue.  AME is a bit slower but it does make it through the code without the PProheadless appears.

Thanks to adobe tech support and to forum members who looked at  this issue last night.

regards,

Cliff Williams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cliff,

Thanks for reporting the workaround.

Unfortunately, the Adobe presence in this forum is only at the upper right of the page - they provide the server and the forum software. We're just users, like you.

Glad that you got a fix and trust me, it will help someone else in the future.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True concerning the adobe presence here.  Tech support did hold my hand on this for about an hour.  We tested 4 cores then dropped it to 2 and the support guy did stay on the phone until there was success.

What's really scary about this is that according to the tech guy the PProheadless error is really sporadic ... it can appear and disappear on a whim.  The error also appears on another machine here running Vista 64 bit on a quad core ...  strange.

The fix works for me now and at least I can now move forward.  I would also assume that the "core fix" would work with folks exporting Premiere sequences to Encore and thus having freezes in the coding process as well.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great info...thanks man. I don't understand why they didn't set up AME like they did with After Effect's renderer. In AE you can pick the number of cores to use, how much Ram to give them, how much to leave to other programs, ect.

The options were there even there for CS3.....makes no sense. That said AME has been working great for me lately, but AE's renderer is better because you can tweak it so you can keep working on other projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cliff,

I've got the same problem on a win 7 64 bit system with an Intel Quad Core Q6600 Processor and 4Gb RAM. Do you suggest me the same solution you suggested to the other user with Win Vista and processor i7?

I have to uncheck the processor number 2 in dialogue box of the PProheadless Process?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2009 May 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for this error is having a hi-res JPEG image in the timeline set to be animated in the Motion "Position/Scale" effects panel. It seems that Premiere Pro CS4 has a bug when it comes to having a hi-res JPEG image streched along the timeline longer than 10 seconds in length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that may be case in some issues concerning PProheadless, but in the occasions that I have this ugly message appear there were no high resolution jpegs invovled.  When I do use still photos or jpegs in Premeire, I always reduce the stills/jpegs in Photoshop to video resolutions before importing into Premiere.  But again there were no stills involved in the timeline when PProheadless.exe appeared.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have read very carefully this thread (and a few others), I have tried the solution described ... but nothing seems to work and EMA still crash, won't encode and I get the "PProHeadless.exe has caused an error ..." message.

I use Premiere Pro CS4 on a Windows Vista 64bits (Home Premium), i7 Core. I have installed the latest updates for both Premiere and AME.

For weeks, it worked perfectly, then something odd haapened: for some sequences, Premiere would encode perfectly for some, AME would stall very fast. No erroe message, just that after few second (between 2 and 4), it just stopped, as if the encoding was finished although it never stopped. Puzzled, I re-installed Premiere (and AME) .. and now I m getting the "PProHeadless.exe has caused an error ..." crash everytime I m encoding. Extremely frustrating...

I have tried few solutions described in this thread, notably

- Open Task Manager , go to Affinity and reduce the number of CPU PProHeadless.exe can work on - it was adviced to reduce it to just 2, did not work. Also reduce it to just one, did not work either. By looking carefully at the task manager, I saw taht also I ve set PProHeadless.exe to work only on CPU 0, the number of CPU Task manager said it was working was moving from 0 top 2. Strange..yet it was still a small number, and, yes the crash happened again.

- Dear all,

I have read very carefully this thread (and a few others), I have tried the solution described ... but nothing seems to work and EMA still crash, won't encode and I get the "PProHeadless.exe has caused an error ..." message.

I use Premiere Pro CS4 on a Windows Vista 64bits (Home Premium), i7 Core. I have installed the latest updates for both Premiere and AME.

For weeks, it worked perfectly, then something odd haapened: for some sequences, Premiere would encode perfectly for some, AME would stall very fast. No erroe message, just that after few second (between 2 and 4), it just stopped, as if the encoding was finished although it never stopped. Puzzled, I re-installed Premiere (and AME) .. and now I m getting the "PProHeadless.exe has caused an error ..." crash everytime I m encoding. Extremely frustrating...

I have tried few solutions described in this thread, notably

- Open Task Manager , go to Affinity and reduce the number of CPU PProHeadless.exe can work on - it was adviced to reduce it to just 2, did not work. Also reduce it to just one, did not work either. By looking carefully at the task manager, I saw taht also I ve set PProHeadless.exe to work only on CPU 0, the number of CPU Task manager said it was working was moving from 0 top 2. Strange..yet it was still a small number, and, yes the crash happened again.

- I have also used another solution found somewhere else, iei Select in PPro: edition >preference > general> , optimize the render = MEMORY  and I also inscrease the asio memory buffer to 4096 and selected "32 bit" to avoid the "jkl" bug

Nothing works...

I have noticed that one participant, Ciro, solved the issue by "In the Windows' Error report I clicked the 'details' button and found that it pointed to - nvoglnt.dll, which, after some 'googling' pointed to Nvidia graphics drivers. I downloaded a nvoglnt.dll file, and replaced the one I had in Windows\system32."  

I tried the same, my error message pointed to ImageRenderer.dll which seems to be a file used by Photoshop.. Dont know why Photoshop is linked to this (maybe because the still pictures I have were trimmed down and turned into japegs in Photoshop??). Anyway I m a bit weary of replacing a Photoshop file by something of the same name found on Internet...

Would you recommend to do that?

I m a bit desesparate, any help is more than welcomed!

- I have noticed that one participan of a similar forum solved the issue by "In the Windows' Error report I clicked the 'details' button and found that it pointed to - nvoglnt.dll, which, after some 'googling' pointed to Nvidia graphics drivers. I downloaded a nvoglnt.dll file, and replaced the one I had in Windows\system32."   

I tried the same, my error message pointed to ImageRenderer.dll which seems to be a file used by Photoshop.. Dont know why Photoshop is linked to this (maybe because the still pictures I have were trimmed down and turned into japegs in Photoshop??). Anyway I m a bit weary of replacing a Photoshop file by something of the same name found on Internet...

Would you recommend to do that?

I m a bit desesparate, any help is more than welcomed!

Thanks to all

Eric- -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Please don't cross-post.  I deleted your other post, and am adding my answer to this thread.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ericdugard wrote:

I downloaded a nvoglnt.dll file, and replaced the one I had in Windows\system32."  

I tried the same, my error message pointed to ImageRenderer.dll which seems to be a file used by Photoshop.. Dont know why Photoshop is linked to this (maybe because the still pictures I have were trimmed down and turned into japegs in Photoshop??).

Don't just replace one file; update your entire graphics driver.

PhotoshopServer is a process that runs with Pr all the time.  So ImageRenderer.dll could be part of that.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your email (and sorry for cross posting)

You said " update your entire graphics driver"..what do you mean by that? How to do that? I ve update Photoshop with latest update on Adobe site and install the latest driver for my graphic card but I suppose you mention something different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a nvoglnt.dll file, and replaced the one I had in Windows\system32."

That sounds to me like you simply replaced one file out of all the files that make up the driver.  Did you do something other than that?

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jeff

Sorry I have been unclear.

On an adobe forum, somedody said (not me) that the error message pointed to a nvoglnt.dll file, so HE downloaded  a new nvoglnt.dll file and replaced the one I had in Windows\system32. He was saying that this solved his issue.

Since my PProheadless.exe error message points not to a nvoglnt.dll file but to a file linked to Photoshop, I wondered

- should I try the same solution

- isnt it dangerous to change a file from photoshop with a file from the same name that can be found on the net?

This solution seems dangerous to me, actually so I did not do it yet.

Things I ve done were

- I have also used another solution found somewhere else, iei Select in PPro: edition >preference > general> , optimize the render = MEMORY  and I also inscrease the asio memory buffer to 4096 and selected "32 bit"

I m pretty desesperate on how to approach the problem and any solution / proposition / idea  is welcomed!

Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh! yes, I also installed a new driver for my GeForce 9600 card, just in case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did this start happening?  It's important for you to pin it down.

Think back.  At that same time, what changed on your system?  Is that when you updated your video drivers, for example?  How about updating any software (Quicktime, iTunes, other video or image applications, codecs, anything)?

Did you change your export settings, your source media, or add/change any plug-ins that you're using?

Windows Updates (automatic or manual)?

Did you install any new software?

And so on - any changes at all.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines