Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 HTML: Rendering small images (icons) with curves is not good in CHM

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just spent the whole night creating a suite of small 'Alert' icons (e.g., Note and Important) -- they are about 30 pixels x 40 pixels -- and I made example alerts in a Word file for review , inserted the icons, and they look great. Then finally I inserted some into the alerts boxes in my RoboHelp project and I am finding that curved lines on small icons don't render very well in RoboHelp CHM output. They come out bitty. But in Word looked great.

(That will teach me to always first do a dry run...)

Is there some magic trick for doing this well?

(And the Microsoft 'Note' (the blurry brick with the pencil) in MSDN C# does not have curved lines.
Aren't they clever - those people at Microsoft...)

Then I had a hunch that Word is doing an automatic blurring operation, by default. This makes the curved lines smoother. So I tried doing the same using a raster graphics program after I output the the icons from Corel Draw, and now the icons are coming out much better in the Help - close to what I saw in the Word file.

And another way is to take a screenshot of the way they look in Word.

But again, is there a straightforward way of doing this?

TIA

- avi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If the icon looks as you want in Word, then personally I'd screen capture it from there and save it out as a file.

The key is to never Ever NEVER EVER use the resize option in RoboHelp to change the size from what it is to something different.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> The key is to never Ever NEVER EVER use the resize option in RoboHelp to change the size from what it is to something different.

Thanks!

I finally caught on!

Ok, I'm all done now. After a lot of trial and error.

Maybe I should have used an icon editor. Would that have helped? Never realy used one much. Anything to suggest?

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I use a product called Icon Commander. I managed to get it for free from Giveaway of the Day. Normally it costs $39.95. But I can say that it would probably be worth it!

If you watch Giveaway of the Day, I hear that sometimes software is offered again and again.

Click here to visit the site

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use IcoFX, which is a freeware program. Take a look at http://icofx.ro.

Greets,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the responses!

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp