• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tag Cloud in RoboHelp 8 WebHelp

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering about a tag cloud on the front page of my WebHelp output, perhaps based on the keywords or title, heading 1 and keywords. Or, even better, on search terms.

I have no idea how to go about this but was wondering if anyone else had given it any thought or to throw it out there as a challenge. Could it be generated from Index keywords?

Any takers, theories, ideas or comments?

Greig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen any comment about them on any forum and from what I see by Googling, their popularity seems to be dwindling.

Have you looked at http://tagcrowd.com/ where you can generate the code for free?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks for sharing that bit on TagCrowd. I've never seen it before. I can't seem to make it work at the moment, but all it appears to do is to generate a "frequency list" of words on a web page.

@ Grieg - I always thought these "Tag Clouds" required a related ability to allow users to tag information. This is something RoboHelp doesn't currently do. For anyone watching this thread I would ask that if you really feel this ability would be a worthwhile thing to see in RoboHelp at some point, consider submitting a Wish Form to ask for it.

Cheers and happy Friday all! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2009 Jul 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

created at TagCrowd.com
Thank you Peter and Rick for the replies.
At the top is a tag cloud created via Tag Crowd, as suggested by Peter, using Rick's reply. To create the cloud I cut and pasted Rick's reply into Tag Crowd's paste text option. The next step would be to add links to the words so the user is taken to a page that lists the results, like a search results page. All of this is sounding like a lot of work for little reward and for something that is gimmicky. Peter's suggestion, though, is a valide one for making a tag cloud.
I suppose what I was really wanting was to see a way of using something like the search weightings to determine the size of the text, picking out any keywords that had been added to topics and linking to a search results page. Or of using the index to do a similar thing (Is it possible to put the contents of an index keyword list on to a topic page to create an index page?).
As for Rick's suggestion that Tag Clouds are driven by users tagging of pages I would generally agree but seeing as though we don't have that ability in RoboHelp I thought I would skip that bit, although I feel it would be a nice feature for users, along with an ability for them to save a favourites list perhaps. Time to follow up on Rick's suggestion of using the wishlist.
Thanks,
Greig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the way it looks in the forum the way it looks in RH?

If not, perhaps a screenshot would help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2009-07-27_160354.jpg

Good suggestion Peter. There you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2009 Jul 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ick! I see no value whatsoever in that jumbled mess!

I'll take my help files neat, with a splash of control. Thank you very much.

Shudder... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp