• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Generate Primary Layout" not updating edits to help file

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 6.0 (RoboHelp for Word).  When I generate my primary layout (WinHelp4) and then view my .hlp file, none of my edits are updated.  The last time I made updates was two months ago and my edits were showing updated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Hi there

What is the output?

In nearly every case like this the end result turns out to be that you (or your user) is actually viewing an older copy of the help system that you probably are totally unaware exists.

Have you double checked for that?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What is the output?

In nearly every case like this the end result turns out to be that you (or your user) is actually viewing an older copy of the help system that you probably are totally unaware exists.

Have you double checked for that?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm outputing to WinHelp4.  Another thing I did was instead of generating the primary I did a view of the primary layout and I got a message stating "WinHelp4 output is out of date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, the clue is in the error message

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions on how I update WinHelp4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds a bit like you have updated your topics but not generated a new output.

If you have generated an output, are you sure you are looking in the right folder? Is the file date and time correct?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just generated an output and the file date and time reflect the time I did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate, you can tick / untick which documents are included. Are all the documents ticked?

If that is not the cause, how big is the project zipped up? Do not send it yet. For now, I just want to know the size.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All documents are ticked.  One thing I noticed when generating the primary layout, there is a message which states "Removing broken jumps..."  Processing name.rtf.  Is it possible that may have something to do with it?

I work for a health insurance company and the help file contains confidential information - I wouldn't be able to zip it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so but no way of knowing.

Try an old trick. Close the project and make a copy of it.

Using the copy, go into Windows Explorer and delete the RTF files. Then open the copy in RH and it will warn you about the missing RTFs. Let it create new ones.

Try with that.

Next try creating a new project and import the documents into that.

If that fails, without seeing what is going on and hacking around, there is not much I can do. I understand confidentiality and have had many such projects sent to me. I do not keep them once the issue is resolved and I never quote from them or use them as examples. It's up to you and your management. I'm not the one with a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried your two suggestions and no luck.  I'll run it by my boss if I can send you a zip.

In the meantime - I was getting an error of "WinHelp4 output is out of date" when I would try to "View Primary Layout".  If I need to update WinHelp4, any suggestions on how I would do that?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is very wrong here. That message only comes up if the help has not been updated but you said the file date and time was up to date when we went through that earlier.

I really am not convinced you are looking at the right file.

Is WinHelp 4 set as the primary layout?

How are you starting the generation? Take a screen shot and use the camera icon ABOVE to insert it.

Also take screenshots of each page of the wizard when you generate and add those.

If that does not get us anywhere, then explain to your boss that I am an Adobe Community Expert which is a recognition by Adobe for the work people such as myself do to help users and the authoring community. For RoboHelp there are only about twelve such people worldwide. I would not risk a complaint from you by misusing what you send. Your content is of no interest to me, I work in an entirely different field. Sorting out your problem, if I can, is of interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinHelp 4 is set at the primary layout - "Generate Primary Layour (WinHelp 4).

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

Here is a screen shot of my file structure where the help file is being generated to:

5.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could there be confusion between the first two projects in the first image?

Try deleting the GID file and opening the help again. I forget what controls but it may be relevant.

If that is not it, please speak to your boss and advise me of the zip file size. Don't send yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is any confusion between the first two projects in the first image.

I deleted the GID file and that didn't seem to work.

I will talk with my boss tomorrow and see if I can get the all clear to send you the zip file.  The zip file is 21.8 MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he approves it use http://www.cutesendit.com/ and include a link to this thread.

You can get my address from my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for trying to assist me.  I may have found out what the issue is.  The changes I made were adding bold to some text and that is when I noticed the changes weren't being reflected.  I removed the bold format on the text and generated a new help file - the changes were reflected.

Can bold not be used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it can and I have no idea how that can affect things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp