Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does anyone know how to modify the breadcrumbs. Please see the example which explains the problem:

e.g. There is Book1(Under Book1, I have Topic1, Topic2)

Under Book1 again I have Book2 which again as Topic3 and Topic4 under it.

Book1

- Topic1

- Topic2

Book2

- Topic3

- Topic4

Book3

So my breadcrumb for Topic3 would be Home - Book1 - Book2 - Topic3.

My Question is how do I modify my breadcrumb for Topic3 like Home-Book1-Topic3 (I donot want Book2 to reflect).

Please let me know of any possible solution?

Vinod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Why would you want to do that? The breadcrumb trail is intended to provide the path one would follow through the TOC structure to arrive at the topic. Given your structure, you must open Book 1 in order to see Book 2. Then open Book 2 to see Topic 3.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

The problem is when I click on the Book2 it navigates to topic3 which is under the Book2(by default).

If not I have to assign a default page for every sub book. Thats really causing a problem.

So I thought I would restrict as per my choice. If any solution exists please let me know??

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is when I click on the Book2 it navigates to topic3 which is under the Book2(by default).

If not I have to assign a default page for every sub book.

Clicking on a book does not open any topic unless you have associated the Book with a topic, you do not have to do that. You could just let the user expand the book and pick a topic.

Whatever you do, when a topic is displayed, the breadcrumbs are going to show each book you have to click to get to the topic.

Sorry but I am still not getting why this is a problem. If the user is in Topic 3 and it is not giving them what they want Book 2 should be the one with associated topics and where you want them to go.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

When the user in Topic3 they would have the breadcrumb as Home-Book1-Book2-Topic3.

Also If the User is in Topic4 breadcrumb would be Home-Book1-Book2-Topic4.(At this time when they click on Book2, user would be automatically navigated to Topic3). I have to set a default page for Book2 to solve this problem.

This made me think can I remove Book2 in breadcrumbs.

Thanks

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are describing as the default is simply whatever topic is first in the book.

The idea is that by clicking Book 2 in the breadcrumbs they are saying "take me to the start of that book". Don't forget, they may have closed the book for some reason best known to them. Clicking the breadcrumb expands the book again and highlights the first topic in it.

No way to change it that I know about.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I read many post on Breadcrumbs but could not find an answer to my issue.  I converted a system from RH5 to RH8.  This is Webhelp output. The new topics have 3 duplicate bread crumbs and the old topics have 2 duplicate breadcrumbs.  My questions are as follows:

1. How do I get rid of the duplication?  I have tried to add placeholders in the master pages, but this did not work.  Right now, I have no master page applied to any of the topics.  I have attached partial screen shots from the output to show the duplication in the breadcrumbs.breadcrumb 3 rows.jpgBreadcrumb 2 rows.jpg
  2. Is there a way to clear the breadcrumbs if I decide not to use them?  I unchecked the box in the webhelp navigation selection, but I still get the breadcrumbs.

If I am unable to fix them, I need to remove them altogether.

Thank you,

Alaja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you resolved this one? Sounds like maybe you have breadcrumbs in a master page and also have them ticked in the wizard when you generate.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter:

Thanks for the reply.  I think it is resolved.  I acutally deleted files from the baggage folder and it appears to have fixed the problem.

Alaja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp