Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating output overrides previous output

Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an "output" folder set up outside my RH8 project. I generate user guides and admin guides. I've noticed when I generate a Receivables user guide, it places the guide in the correct output folder. The when I generate a Receivables admin guide, the Receivables user guide is deleted from the output folder and the admin guide is then stored in the output folder.  I need both of these guides to remain in the output folder. Any way to do this other than to create separate folders for each product and each guide?  I saw in the .pss file that there is a "Remove Folder with Prompt = 1." Is this related to the removal of output before new output is stored in the same location?

thanks!

Niki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely "separate folders for each product and each guide." Create a new layout for each deliverable, with its own destination path. Once you've done that, you can generate multiple layouts in batch mode, if you like.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niki.

Are you outputting these two guides to the same folder AND file name - perhaps using different build tags? If so that is the reason. You'll have to either specify a different folder or file name. You may be interested to know that you can duplicate the relevant single source layout and just change the output file location (and build tags) as required. Click here to see how.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies. I have 7 RH projects. I have 2-4 printed layouts for each project (a user guide and reference guide for my company and a user guide and reference guide for our partner company with an output structure like so:

\output

\my company

\adminguides

Receivables_admin_guide.doc

SignOn_admin_guide.doc

Payables_admin_guide.doc

\userguides

Receivables_user_guide.doc

SignOn_user_guide.doc

Payables_user_guide.doc

\partner company

\adminguides

\userguides

So as you can see, the .docs are named differently but are going to the same adminguide or userguide folder. The result is RH only allows one .doc file in the userguide or adminguide folder at a time. RH is overriding whatever is in the folder, regardless of the file name. I'm trying to avoid the following structure:

\output

\my company

\Receivables

\adminguide

\userguide

\SignOn

\adminguide

\userguide, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, yes, I remember this one. It used to make me nuts - I could swear I had different .doc names specified in the output path, but I'd get a cleared folder anyway. I feel your pain.

I recommend making the individual folder structure. Figuring out how to get RH to stop doing this would be a triumph, yes, but think of the stress you will save yourself if you go for the safer (albeit untidier) option.

My .02USD,

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp