• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix application latency?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Adobe TCS2 installed on my computer, and my system requirements should allow me to run it optimally.  Additionally, my project folder is housed on my computer hard drive, but I experience significant latency when working in RoboHelp.  I'm using a former RoboHelp X5 project I imported.  I never experienced this problem in that environment.  Is there a way to speed up RoboHelp 8?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

If your operating system is not recognising the CPD, something has gone wrong with the installation. It might be as simple as reassociating the CPD with RH HTML but it might be more. I suggest you try a repair of the installation via Control Panel.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already done so, you might try rebuilding the cpd file. (Back up the old one first.)

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G,

Thanks for responding.  What is a CPD file and how can I go about rebuilding it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD file gets rebuilt automatically if it isn't there whenever you open a RH project. You'll find it in the RH project's top folder (projectname.cpd). Just rename it to be safe and open your RH project. As an aside, RH8 has an option to rebuild the CPD file automatically whenever you open a project. You can read about it here.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

This information is very helpful.  I've been working in RH8 with the Clear project cache... option selected.  The speed of the app was very slow and pretty much tripled my development time.  I've cleared and will see if there are any improvements in speed.  What is the advantage of using/not using this option?

Also, I'm using RH8 as a component of the TCS2.  My .cpd file appears to be in an extension that is not recognized by my OS.  It asks me to select a program from my program list to open it...

One more thing, when I used RHX5 there was always a file in my project folder with the RHX5 icon and the project name.  I don't see a similar file since I converted the project to RH8.  The project doesn't look right, especially since many of the files are in unrecognizable extensions (e.g., projectname.stp, projectname.GLO, projectname.ali, projectname.cpd, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your operating system is not recognising the CPD, something has gone wrong with the installation. It might be as simple as reassociating the CPD with RH HTML but it might be more. I suggest you try a repair of the installation via Control Panel.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One possible reason for NOT selecting the option is that, for very large projects, it can take a looooonnnggg time to rebuild the cpd file.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The CPD is a Cache Project Database file. The file is actually a Microsoft Access Database file using a custom file extension.

In your RoboHelp project, right-click a topic and choose Properties (or Topic Properties depending on where you right-clicked). Choose the File tab and finally the Open Folder button. This will open Windows Explorer at your project location.

Close RoboHelp HTML.

From Windows Explorer, locate and rename the .CPD file.

Restart RoboHelp HTML and it will bake up a fresh on on the spot.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp