• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs in Pop-Ups

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I disable the breadcrumbs in pop-up boxes?  If so, how?  In this example, I want to remove the breadcrumb reference:

RoboHelp Breadcrumbs.png

Please let me know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What version of RoboHelp are you using? What RoboFlavor? We have outlined what you should insert in posts at the link below:

Click here to read

I'm guessing you didn't read that, so now we must ask more questions and delay the answer.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, and no, I did not read the helpful hints (shame).  So...

I am working in RH8 / RoboHelp for HTML.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

In RoboHelp 8 Breadcrumbs are handled in new ways. (That's why I needed to know the version.)

We still don't know how you have implemented them, so I'll just outline how each way works.

1. The older way - You simply enable breadcrumbs in the Single Source Layouts recipe. This approach provides little control over them. You have them added to each topic or you don't. The option in the layout makes it happen. (or not)

2. The new way - You create a Master Page (formerly called a Topic Template) and insert a Breadcrumb Placeholder. Then apply the Master Page to specific topics. In this case, you woud omit any topics you intend to use as popups.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.  Love it!  Hope I have time to go back to my existing files topic files and make the change!  Is there some way to re-apply to existing topics which have used the templates?

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cindy.

All you need to do is amend the template. When you save it you'll be asked whether you wish to amend all the topics to which the template is attached. Click Yes and you're done.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum -

When I saved my changes, I was not prompted to apply the changes to all of the topics to which the Master Page is attached.  Is there another option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It's been my experience that this will only happen under the following conditions:

You are editing a topic that has a Master Page / Topic Template associated with it and you edit one of the options outside the Main Body placeholder (Header / Footer). If you do this, RoboHelp tosses up a message asking if you want to make this topic different or if you want to update the Master Page / Topic Template so all the other topics associated will follow suit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing both ways that Captiv8r said above and neither fixed the problem for me with image maps pop-ups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like eNerd, I did try to amend a Master Page and have that change apply to all topics associated with the Master Page.  I did not receive a prompt to apply the changes.

And, alas, the breadcrumbs continue to display.

Can I make a change to the Master Page, display topics in the Topic Pod and apply the Master Page to the existing topics?

Until I can find a relatively easy way to make this change, I turned off the "Apply Breadcrumbs" option in my file generation logic.  I can live without breadcrumbs, but not without the pop-ups.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if I can put a finer point on it.

In our case we didn't "implement" breadcrumbs - when migrating from RoboHelp X5 to RoboHelp 8, Adobe (like Bill Gates, who is always trying to "help us, too"), assumed we wanted breadcrumbs. So any instructions about 'undoing what we did' are pointless and irritating.

Now that Adobe has foisted the breadcrumb on us, the user community likes it - on the primary topics at any rate.  The functionality on popups is annoying and doesn't produce a logical result (for us anyway).

Beginning in the dim and distant past, our project used the basic unadorned and unmodified Master layout for topics and a different modified-by-us layout for pop-ups.  When I look at our pop-up topic layout in RH8 I don't see anything to modify to remove the breadcrumb, therefore I assume that the popup is inheriting (GROAN) from the master.

If I understand correctly, to fix the problem we will have to:

1. Remove breadcrumbs from the master layout (assuming I can find the Master).
  2. Create a new format for primary topics, inheriting from the master and adding breadcrumbs to the layout.
  3. Ensure that the pop-up format inherits only from the master (so that there are no breadcrumbs).
  4. Update HUNDREDS of primary topics to use the new format, rather than the Master.

Correct?

-bb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Why so argumentative? As near as I can tell this is your first post in this thread. If that's the case, why are you assuming someone would tell you to "undo what you did"?

While it may irritate you that Breadcrumbs are enabled by default unless you specifically turn them off, at least they do offer you an option to disable them if you dislike them.

I'm going to copy/paste your steps so that I might comment inline.

If I understand correctly, to fix the problem we will have to:

1. Remove breadcrumbs from the master layout (assuming I can find the Master).
    What is meant by this is to turn off the option for your Single Source Layout recipe. It's a simple thing to do. You locate the layout in the Single Source Layouts pod. You find the pod by clicking View > Pods > Single Source Layouts. Then you right-click the layout you are using. In the ensuing dialogs is an option for breadcrumbs. This option governs whether breadcrumbs are generically applied to the entire project.
  2. Create a new format for primary topics, inheriting from the master and adding breadcrumbs to the layout.
    Yes, you create a Master Page in version 8. You add the Breadcrumbs placeholder to the Master page. Pretty straightforward process.
  3. Ensure that the pop-up format inherits only from the master (so that there are no breadcrumbs).
    There is no "inheriting". What you do is to associate the Master Page to the desired topics. It is a specific action that occurs.
  4. Update HUNDREDS of primary topics to use the new format, rather than the Master.
    Sounds like you don't realize it's pretty simple to associate the Master Page with possibly thousands of topics easily. You work from the Topic List pod. You select all the topics you like inside the pod and right-click the selection. You choose Properties and finally the General tab. Then choose the Master Page. It may take you all of 30 seconds.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will assume you're using RH8 since Breadcrumbs are new in RH8.

I have a similar problem - see http://forums.adobe.com/message/2160584

Also, I've tried using a new Master Page for all the pop-up topics and no luck. I've tried turning off all breadcrumbs and it's like something is still lingering from breadcrumbs because my pop-ups don't display correctly then either (for my image maps). I've even tried putting in a breadcrumbs placeholder in the master page and then conditionally building that to leave it out - and that doesn't work either. Looks like this breadcrumbs feature is interfering with all pop-ups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. We implemented breadcrumbs in RH7 and were thrilled with them. In RH7, popups did not display breadcrumbs, which seems entirely reasonable.

Now that we've switched to RH8, breadcrumbs are displayed in all of our popups. Rick, I really do appreciate the helpful information here, but the last line of your post ("it may take you all of 30 seconds") is very glib and seriously incorrect -- at least in my situation and probably in other people's too. We have dozens of help systems to maintain, and many, many thousands of files. Just opening up each system and making one change takes awhile. Next, you cheerfully assume that when I look at the list of topics, I'll immediately recognize which ones are popups. Guess what? I won't!  It's going to take awhile. I'll probably just disable popups because our small doc group really doesn't have the bandwidth.

The thing that's annoying is that it worked so beautifully before. I can't imagine that breadcrumbs from popups would ever be useful to anyone, but I could be wrong (maybe people requested it and that's why they're displayed now -- I don't know). But there should be a global option to display or not display them in popups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Robohelp 8, breadcrumbs are the default.

To remove breadcrumbs:

1) click Pods - Single Source Layouts.

2) Then in that pod select the layout you are using such as WebHelp.  Right click and choose Properties.

3) Click "Next" at the bottom of the Properties pop-up

4) on that next page, UNCHECK the "Add Breadcrumbs Link".

5) Generate your Primary Layout again and the breadcrumbs will be gone.  Voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kiss888

That will turn off ALL bookmarks except those specified in a master page. I believe M Boyd only wanted to turn them off in popups if that could be done easily.

M Boyd

Rick had no way of knowing that you could not easily identify your popups. There is a way but I will readily accept it might not suit. However, we can only suggest things, it is for you to decide how viable they are using your knowledge of your project.

The format for a popup is

<a href="javascript:BSSCPopup('New_Topic.htm');" id="a1">topic</a>

A tool like FAR from http://www.helpware.net can be configured to search on <a href="javascript:BSSCPopup and capture the rest of the link. That would give you a list of your popup topics so that you could select all others and associate them with a master page with breadcrumbs. There is a wrinkle in that a topic can be a topic in its own right and be a popup. It's how you call a topic that makes it a popup from that call.

It won't be quick so it all depends on how much you want to get things working your preferred way.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp