• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word Wrap?

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance word wrap will be added to the IDE?

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its there, but a little hidden.

Go to Preferences -> HTML -> Editors, then click on Advanced tab, you can find "Enable word wrap" as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this supposed to be for all files, or just HTML files?  Am just trying to work out why it's buried in the "HTML" config.

I have switched this on, and I have seen no difference in behaviour in any HTML or CFM (or CFC) files I have: no line wrap.

It does seem to work for JS files.

I'm running a fairly bog-standard Windows Vista laptop, with the stand-alone install of CFB.  Has it been tested on this config?  IE: should I expect it to work?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2009 Aug 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CFBuilder does not have a context sensitive word wrap functionality as of now. Tu have word wrap working for cfml and html files, there's an eclipse plugin available.

1. Help > Software Updates > Available Software tab -> Add Site
      2. Enter the url - http://ahtik.com/eclipse-update/
      3. Install
      4. Restart CFBuilder
      5. Open a cfm or html file.
      6. On right-click, you'll see a context sensitive menu 'Virtual Word Wrap'.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dipanwita

http://blogs.adobe.com/cfbuilder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - let me get this straight - the setting in Preferences -> HTML -> Editors, is for JavaScript files, not HTML files?

And Hemant's suggestion that it was a solution to the question was a bit of a bum steer?  (I think it can be taken as a given the OP was meaning "for CFML files"?

Isn't line wrap pretty fundamental functionality for an "IDE"?  DreamWeaver, Aptana and Visual Studio (which should be the benchmark for CFB for various reasons and in various ways) all manage this.  It's quite strange that Aptana does this fine and CFB does not.  I thought CFB was built "around" Aptana..?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news about wrapping: I'm finding that simply changing the preference (as Hemant had suggested) worked fine (in a CFML file).

Adam, are you saying it's not working for you? Or were you really just responding to Dipanwita, assuming that was required. I'd understand that. Let us know if it works as easily as Hemant said.

One thing I will report is that while the preference pane said you have to restart the editor for it to take effect, I find that I did not. When I turned on wrapping, it happened immediately (in a CFM file).

But turning wrapping off DID seem to require a restart to take effect. But note that it's not a restart of the workbench (CFBuilder itself) but rather just any file that you have opened (so they really mean the "editor" for a given file). Just closing and re-opening a file caused it to turn off the wrapping (if it had been turned off once having been on). Of course, a restart of the workbench also will cause the wrapping to be gone next time it's opened (once turned off).

One other curious thing: if you have line numbers enabled, while the wrapping does take effect immediately (when first turned on), it does seem to confuse the line numbering. A closing/opening of any file (or a restart of the workbench) fixes that.

Some other good news: It's nice to see that the wrapping is smart enough to wrap not to a fixed width but rather adjusts automatically to the width of the editor pane is (so if you open new views on the right, the wrapping point decreases, as it should).

Adam, and Steven, can you confirm that wrapping works for you? And if you have a moment, can you confirm what I saw, if it interests you? Thanks.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, are you saying it's not working for you? Or were you really just responding to Dipanwita, assuming that was required. I'd understand that. Let us know if it works as easily as Hemant said.

[...]

Adam, and Steven, can you confirm that wrapping works for you? And if you have a moment, can you confirm what I saw, if it interests you? Thanks.

As per my initial comment:

I have switched this on, and I have seen no difference in behaviour in any HTML or CFM (or CFC) files I have: no line wrap.

I'm not sure there's more than one way to interpret that, but just to clarify: no.  It doesn't work.  Well it works for JS file, but not for CFML files (ie: .cfm or .cfc) nor indeed does it work for HTML files either (although I don't care about HTML files).

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, I was just trying to help. If I missed a sentence in the thread, I apologize. I meant no offense.

So, you're saying it doesn't work for CFM files for you, while I'm confirming that it does for me.

So we need to figure out the differences in our setups:

• I'm on the Standalone edition. How about you? Are you maybe using the plugin edition?
  • If you're on the plugin edition, what version of Eclipse? The standalone CFB comes on Eclipse 3.4.
  • Either way, do you have any plugins installed? I have none in the version where I tested this.
  • I'm running the public beta build of CFB, 240773. How about you?

And Steven, who originally raised this, it'll be good to hear from you too whenever you may read this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day Charlie

Adam, I was just trying to help. If I missed a sentence in the thread, I apologize. I meant no offense.

I'm not sure what gave you the impression any offence was taken.  I'm a Kiwi, so you're gonna have to try pretty hard to offend me, mate.

So, you're saying it doesn't work for CFM files for you, while I'm confirming that it does for me.

Yes.  I think we are on the same page now.

So we need to figure out the differences in our setups:

• I'm on the Standalone edition. How about you? Are you maybe using the plugin edition?
  • If you're on the plugin edition, what version of Eclipse? The standalone CFB comes on Eclipse 3.4.
  • Either way, do you have any plugins installed? I have none in the version where I tested this.
  • I'm running the public beta build of CFB, 240773. How about you?

It's a stand-alone, completely default and bald (no plug-ins) install.  Latest drop (ie: 240773, same as you).  Windows Vista Home Premium.

To be honest, given there's "unreliable" behaviour - with much the same set-ups we're both seeing different things - I'm considering this a bug, and it's probably something for the Adobe team to sink time into, not you.  This is to not detract one jot from your efforts to help, which is very good of you, but I don't reckon it's a good use of your time.

To contextualise things somewhat: the only reason why I gave this thread a nudge in the first place is that I'm testing CFB @ present, so if I see a thread on these forums in which piques my interest, I'll give it a test and report my findings.  In this case my interest was piqued because I'm hearing mixed messages about whether line wrap will be supported or not in CFB... there's conflicting info from Adobe even within this very thread! So - anyway - as far as testing this is concerned, from where I'm sitting, I've tested; it's failed; it's back with Adobe.  From what Dipanwita says, they currently have no expectation for this to be working, so perhaps the bug is that it is working for you 😉

The only thing I'm left unsure about her is whether an E/R needs to be raised in the bug tracker.  And what the E/R should say.  I reckon I'll leave that for Dipanwita or Hemant to sort out.  As always I am happy pass back any more information that might help them.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is odd, as I am indeed working with the same setup (only difference is Vista Ultimate, but that shouldn't matter at all.)

As for my effort, well, I'm like you: I drop into threads that interest me. I don't see it all as something not "worth sinking time into". I want to understand things and share experiences, like you, and help where I can.

I hope it doesn't somehow seem that by my participating, it somehow diminishes the likelihood that the Adobe folks would. I've never had reason to think that in the Adobe forums (especially during the beta). Rather, I suspect it all just helps get them closer to being able to help with the challenge. And we're talking 3 hugely different time zones (you in Oz, me in the US, them in India), so more questions/thoughts may simply help avoid having to wait through long timezone cycles.

So back to the situation, here's one other thing to try: what if you create a new workspace (file>switch workspace>other)? Just seems worth trying.

(Note also that when I offer thoughts, I'm offering them for others who may read the thread and wonder about things, so even if you've tried them, that's ok. Maybe it will help someone else reading the thread, now or in the future.)

I'll also understand if you also don't want to try any more and just want to leave it with Adobe to consider. But here's the thing about different people experiencing different things from each other (you and me, or the two engineers with each other). It just seems to go with the territory with Eclipse-based implementations. There are so many moving parts (with plugins, updates, etc.)

If you really wanted one more thing to rule out (besides trying a new workspace), you could launch the cfbuilder.exe (from the command line) with the -clean argument, which flushes some internally cached stuff in Eclipse. If you give these things a shot, let us know. (And I just mean "us", following the thread. I don't mean to sound like I'm speaking for Adobe.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day Charlie

And we're talking 3 hugely different time zones (you in Oz, me in the US, them in India),

OK, so back to the earlier "taking offence" discussion.  Accusing a Kiwi of being an Australian is a nice try, and certainly would do the trick with some people.  I'm kinda used to being confused for an Australian though, as I live in the UK, and we all sound the same to a lot of Poms.

Still, this kind of comment is what I expect from you Canadians.  😉

So back to the situation, here's one other thing to try: what if you create a new workspace (file>switch workspace>other)? Just seems worth trying.

Yep, it kicked in if I create a new workspace, so I suppose there's a bug in there somewhere.  I've been running CFB since before it was public: my current workspace was created with a beta1 install, so perhaps there's something screwy there.  Although equally it could just be some general screwiness that the setting doesn't "take" in certain circumstances.  Needs investigation on Adobe's part.

If you really wanted one more thing to rule out (besides trying a new workspace), you could launch the cfbuilder.exe (from the command line) with the -clean argument, which flushes some internally cached stuff in Eclipse.

This - on the other hand - made no difference.

Cheers Charlie.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry. You did say Kiwi earlier, and I do know the difference (lived in Oz, visited NX a few times--love the place and the people). My apologies. Was just typing fast, and thinking instead solely of the time zone differences. But seeing as you're in the UK, well, never mind. But good shot with the Canadians jab.

So, awesome news that creating a new workspace solved it. I've seen it happen more than once, and to be honest it's one of the more frsutrating aspects of working with Eclipse-based tools--and all the more in providing support for people working with them. As happened here, someone will swear "it doesn't work" while another will jump up and down that it does (not referring to us). It's just too bad that sometimes it's a little thing like this. I suppose over time some just come to accept it. Like you say, it could be from the beta, or not.

It may be hard for them to investigate, though, without specifics, and even then, I wonder if they could recreate the problem even if you sent them your workspace file and whatever else went with it (a replication of the entire folder structure underneath it?)

As for the -clear option, well, it was just a thought. Again, there seem many things that can go awry in such situations, so I was pulling out all the stops.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I'm just going to keep replying to this thread to see how skinny the column of text can get 😉

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation