• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cfoutput group 2 column split help

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2006 May 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an output that I'd like to split up into 2 columns. I've done it before using a recordcount, divide by 2, one column has a maxrows in the output, the second has startrow in the output. This way is no longer working for me as my cfoutput, with a group, is not spliting things up in an even manner like I need it to.

Here's my code, without a split:

<cfquery name="getInfo" datasource="#ds#">
Select hotel.active, hotel.hotelName, hotel.HotelID, region.Region, city.city, country.country, State.State
From region, HotelLocation, hotel, city, country, State
Where region.RegionID = HotelLocation.RegionID
and Hotel.HotelID = HotelLocation.HotelID
and city.CityID = HotelLocation.CityID
and Country.CountryID = HotelLocation.CountryID
and State.StateID = HotelLocation.StateID
and HotelLocation.RegionID = #url.RegionID#
and HotelLocation.active = 1
order by Country.country, state.state, hotel.hotelName, city.city
</cfquery>

<cfoutput query="getInfo" group="Country" maxrows="#startCol#">
<b>::: #country# :::</b> #startCol#<br />
<cfoutput group="State">
<cfif #State# is NOT 'NULL'> <b>- #State# -</b><br /></cfif>
<cfoutput>
  <a href="browse_hotel.cfm?hotelID=#hotelID#">#hotelName#</a><!---<cfif #city# is NOT 'NULL'> - #city#</cfif>---><b /r>
</cfoutput><p></p>
</cfoutput>
</cfoutput>
----------
I want to have an even number split, not just of countries, but of the results. So if the country needs to be split in 2 colums that is fine. Like if the region is north america, the countries that are there displayed are Bermuda, Canada and the US. Bermuda has one hotel, Canada has several (but for some reason doesn't show), but the US has all 50 states in one column. And Bermuda is all by itself...a bit off balanced since in the other column that is displayed has all 50 states.

Any one have a solution? Confused as to what I'm trying to say?
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 01, 2006 Jun 01, 2006
Ok, I've figured out a work around.

I basically use the query of queries, got the country count, split the count in 2 and used maxrows for the first column. Then I did a row count of the first column, added a 1 to that number to get my startrow position for the 2nd column.

:-]

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2006 May 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: gendrall
I have an output that I'd like to split up into 2 columns. I've done it before using a recordcount, divide by 2, one column has a maxrows in the output, the second has startrow in the output. This way is no longer working for me as my cfoutput, with a group, is not spliting things up in an even manner like I need it to.

Here's my code, without a split:
I want to have an even number split, not just of countries, but of the results. So if the country needs to be split in 2 colums that is fine. Like if the region is north america, the countries that are there displayed are Bermuda, Canada and the US. Bermuda has one hotel, Canada has several (but for some reason doesn't show), but the US has all 50 states in one column. And Bermuda is all by itself...a bit off balanced since in the other column that is displayed has all 50 states.

Any one have a solution? Confused as to what I'm trying to say?

You can use query of queries to get the number of countries and the number of states. If you add the query record count to triple the number of countries and triple the number of states, you should get the number of lines you want to display. Divide that by two and you're in business.

By the way, the nested grouping my be why you are seeing unexpected results. Try grouping by country only and use if/else logic to determine when the name of the state changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2006 May 30, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean a query in the outputs or sub queries in the initial query?

What about looping over a ValueList?

I don't want to have too many queries on the page since there will be a lot of results and I don't want to hammer the server too much :-]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

You mean a query in the outputs or sub queries in the initial query?

What about looping over a ValueList?

I don't want to have too many queries on the page since there will be a lot of results and I don't want to hammer the server too much :-]

Query of queries does not touch the db.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Query of queries?
Well, you've got me stumped. I've never actually worked with a query of queries and ashamed to say I've never heard of such a thing. How does one go about using them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you aren't using ColdFusion 4.5 you should be able to use Q-of-Q.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Query of queries?
Well, you've got me stumped. I've never actually worked with a query of queries and ashamed to say I've never heard of such a thing. How does one go about using them?

Assuming you are using CF Version 5 or higher, google "coldfusion query of queries" The first offering is a tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2006 May 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CF7 :-]
So we are good with the query of queries. Very nice.

My main problem now is the I've never done a grouping with if/else statements, I've only used them in cfouputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2006 May 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the query of queries and it's not producing the results that I need. The groupings are off and the column split that I need is either off or completely ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2006 Jun 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ok, I've figured out a work around.

I basically use the query of queries, got the country count, split the count in 2 and used maxrows for the first column. Then I did a row count of the first column, added a 1 to that number to get my startrow position for the 2nd column.

:-]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation