Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

file save properties

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I am working in Robohelp for HTML 8.0 in windows and saving my document in Microsoft HTML format.  I simply want to file save all my project files in a different location on the server than I originally created in my project.  You think this would be an easy task to do but I have spent 2 days trying to figure it out.  I even called Adobe and the rep I talked to did not know how to do this and my ticket has been escalated to a manager and no one has got back to me yet.  Am I missing something obvious?  I only see file save with no save as to change the location.  I also dont see it in the properties window.

Do I have to rename my project?  I dont even see where my project info is of where it is saving to right now in RoboHelp.

Please help

thanks

Caryn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Hi, Caryn.

I've been having the same sort of problems - I need to move a project from my C: drive to a shared drive on the network.

I cannot find any way to do this in RH, so I tried copying the whole folder (in explorer), and I tried zipping it, and extracting to the shared drive.

I got an incomplete project - with topics missing. The extract gave me everything, except the images file locations still point back to my C drive!

Your last post said you were OK now. So, please post the steps you took t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry, but we need more informtion.

First, you said you were "saving my document in Microsoft HTML format".

Does this mean you are compiling a single .CHM file as your output?

Later you mention:  "I simply want to file save all my project files in a different location on the server than I originally created in my project."

Are you saying your source files (project files used to create output) exist currently on a server? If so, they shouldn't be there. If you have your project files on a server, you are courting disaster. You really need to move them to your local PC to make edits.

You then said: "I only see file save with no save as to change the location."

If all you want to do is move the location, close the project in RoboHelp, then move the folder where your project is to where you want it to be using Windows Explorer.

You also said: "I also dont see it in the properties window."

What are you expecting to see in the properties window? For that matter, WHICH properties window are you talking about?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What exactly do you want to do?

- If you want to store your entire RoboHelp project (ie source files) on a different location, simply cut and paste your project using Windows explorer.

- If you want to publish your chm to a different location, choose File | Generate Primary Layout and in the section Output Folder and File Name select the folder you want to publish.

- If you want to store your sourcefiles in a different folder in your project, Go to the Project Manager, Go to HTML Files and create a new folder. Now drag all your files and folders to the new folder.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, in that case, let us know so we can think of another solution.

Greet Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I went to my explorer and copied project file. Opened up my project in its new file location.  My t.o.c wont open up now.  The name of the file is the same and i moved it to the new location also.  All my html pages are moved over.

How do I get my t.o.c to open now?

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Was your project closed when you moved all the files? If not, perhaps you confused things when you moved them.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i closed my project first.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i seldct my t.o.c, nothing happends.  When I try to open it thru explorer, i get windows cannot open this file box.  It wont open thru robohelp for html window either.

I opened the project file originally not the t.o.c. file.

Any ideas?  Looks like I cant import it in - I should not have to change the name.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, using this copy and paste method i noticed my map file ID's did not move over.

What happened to that file?

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Normally it's a simple process. You close the project in RoboHelp, then move (or copy) it from where it was to where you want it. As long as you move only the folder you are normally golden. But you are doing this in Windows Explorer. As such, it's anybody's guess as to what may have went wrong. Mabye you elected to copy or move only the contents of the folder and you missed some files along the way. It's difficult to say.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fine now.

thanks everyone!

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Caryn.

I've been having the same sort of problems - I need to move a project from my C: drive to a shared drive on the network.

I cannot find any way to do this in RH, so I tried copying the whole folder (in explorer), and I tried zipping it, and extracting to the shared drive.

I got an incomplete project - with topics missing. The extract gave me everything, except the images file locations still point back to my C drive!

Your last post said you were OK now. So, please post the steps you took to successfully copy your project,

and then Close this thread (it lists as "not answered" )

THANKS

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy

The fact your images aren't correctly referenced would suggest that you didn't insert them properly in RoboHelp.

Can you please outline the exact steps you use when you wish to use an image in your project? By and large, RoboHelp has your back on things. But sometimes if you do things a certain way you break the process.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy

1.  verify where your project files are being saved

2.  close your robohelp project

3.  in explorer, copy all project files from the original location to the desired location

4.  in robohelp, file open the project from the new location.

check to see if you have all of your files.

good luck

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, please tell us more about why you decided to begin playing Russian Roulette with your project by placing it on the network.

Surely it's for backup purposes only, no? Please tell us you aren't planning on making edits to it while it is on a network drive.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick.

I'm new to RH. Why is this not a good move?

My PC is backed up once a week (maybe), my shared drive is backed up daily.

Let's say I go with developing it only on my PC.

When I'm done with this project, how do I back it up so that if I delete everything from my C: drive, someone else in the future won't have missing topic images, when the "file" tab in the image properties has C:\Documents and Settings\....\My RoboHelp Projects\SLS ?

Thanks

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Hang out here long enough (I've been doing the forum thing for about 9 years now) and you will see post after post after post citing all manner of issues. Issues that resulted from working with your project while it was stored on a network drive. Copy the project to the local PC and the problems evaporate.

The bottom line is that you keep your project on the local C drive, then copy it periodically to the network for backup purposes.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I'll take your advice.

Can you help with my question :

When I'm done with this project, how do I back it up so that if I delete everything from my C: drive, someone else in the future won't have missing topic images, when the "file" tab in the image properties has C:\Documents and Settings\....\My RoboHelp Projects\SLS ?

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI again

As long as you just copy the folder, you are normally golden. But if things break when you do that, it means something is messed up with your project.

Please outline the exact steps you follow to insert an image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp